Swan Song {9}

“I’m tired,” Shane announced.

                We were sitting in the basement with Mitch and Rio, playing Cards Against Humanity. Shane stood up, rubbing his eyes.

                “Jace, are you going to bed?” he asked.

                “Nah, I’m not tired,” I said.

                “Alright, cool. Don’t wake me up when you come in,” he said and left the basement.

                We picked up the cards since it wasn’t fun with only three people. I got up and followed Mitch to his bedroom.

                Rio went over and hopped up on his bed, folding his hands behind his head and laying back casually. I watched him, surprised and a little annoyed that Mitch wasn’t growling at him to get off of his bed. Mitch was picky about people being in his room in the first place, but people lying on his bed or touching his stuff without him getting annoyed rarely ever happened.

                There was a knock on Mitch’s door and then his mom opened it. Carol glared at all of us and crossed her arms.

                “It’s getting late,” she said. “So keep it down in here. And for the love of my freaking sanity, don’t sneak out again Mitchell.”

                She sounded annoyed, but I could remember last summer when she had pulled me down to the basement and asked me to keep an eye on Mitch. I knew that she and Jasper worried about him a lot.

                “Yea, okay, get out of my room,” Mitch said.

                “You are such a rude bastard. I bet Jace and Rio wouldn’t talk to their parents that way,” she said.

                “Only if I wanted a foot up my ass,” Rio said, laughing.

                I kept quiet, looking at anything but the people in the room. I might as well tell my mother to fuck off. I didn’t understand how my mom could love me as much as she did with the way I treated her. She should hate me. I didn’t deserve all the love she gave me.

                “Now, shut up you idiots. Some people actually sleep at a normal time,” Carol said before leaving the room.

                “Did something happen between you and your mom?” Mitch asked me.

                “Huh? Oh, nah,” I said, dropping my gaze as I felt my nose twitch. “Everything is fine.”

                “Whoa, does his nose twitch every time he lies? That’s so cool!” Rio said. “I mean, not cool for Jace. But it’s adorable to watch. Tell me a lie!”

                “I hate you,” I said.

                “Aw, come on. Tell me you love me so I can see your nose twitch,” he said with a grin.

                “Rio, shut up,” Mitch said, grabbing a shoe from the ground and throwing it at Rio.

                Rio ducked out of the way of the shoe. “Wow, rude.”

                “You should probably talk to your mom. She does more for you than you realize,” Mitch said.

                “I know that,” I said in annoyance. I didn’t want to talk about my mom.