Swan Song {14}

***Mitch’s POV***

                “I’m tired,” Shane said.

                We were all sitting on the couches, watching a movie. Jace was fighting to stay awake, leaning against me heavily. His head dropped onto my shoulder and he nodded in agreement with Shane.

                “Me too,” he said, but made no move to get off of me.

                “Well, you better get your feet off of me and get to bed,” Rio said, shoving Shane’s feet off of his lap.

                “Jerk,” Shane grumbled, standing up. “Let’s go Jace.”

                “Uh-huh, you go ahead and I’ll be there in a minute,” he mumbled sleepily.

                “Hell no. Get off your ass Jace,” Shane commanded.

                “In a minute,” Jace said, closing his eyes. I put an arm around him so that he wouldn’t fall over.

                Shane stormed over and grabbed Jace, yanking him to his feet. Jace yelped as he stumbled, Shane catching him.

                “Mitch!” Jace snapped.

                “I didn’t do it,” I said.

                “You didn’t stop him!” he said.

                I raised an eyebrow. “It’s not my job to stop him.”

                “Ass,” Jace grumbled.

                “Let’s go to bed. I’m tired,” Shane said. He shot me a glare. “And Jace is sleeping in my room tonight because I prefer him on my couch over Rio.”

                “Maybe you should tell them about our scandalous affairs while they were gone,” Rio said, dropping a flirtatious wink at Shane.

                Shane turned to me. “Tell his mom you don’t know what happened. The knife just came out of nowhere and landed in his neck.”

                “Oh, rude,” Rio said, grinning.

                “Let’s go before you really do kill Rio,” Jace said, tugging on Shane’s arm.

                “Yea, yea. Night,” Shane said.

                “Goodnight,” I said, watching as Jace sleepily stumbled away.

                I turned the movie off when it was over, and Rio and I went into my bedroom. We sat down on the ground and grabbed a deck of cards, beginning to play war.

                “So, are you two getting back together?” Rio asked.

                I shrugged. “Maybe someday. But Jace has a long way to come before he’s ready for a relationship.”

                “You guys aren’t dating, but you’re giving up a lot for him,” Rio said.

                “Because I love him,” I said, flipping over my card. “And when you love people, you give up things for them. I care about Jace more than I care about going out at night.”