five

. . .

ryland's pov

ryland's pov

the next morning i woke up alone on the sofa bed. i hazily sat up and rubbed the sleep out my eyes, looking for shane. he was sat in the doorway of the house, a cigarette dangling from his lips. the last thing i remembered from last night was falling asleep on the beanbag whilst watching rupauls drag race with shane, laughing every time he impersonated one of them. somehow i'd ended up in bed, under a duvet, and i wondered whether shane had picked me up and cursed myself for not being a wake whilst he did so.

"you're too pretty for lung cancer." i said, standing up and making shane jump in shock. he stubbed the cigarette out and looked at me with a smile on his face.

"thanks for the compliment," he teased in reply, "it's 8am by the way. we have to leave in half an hour so do whatever you need to do. there's food in the cupboard if you want it." i nodded and opened the cupboard to see an unopened bag of cheetos. i shrugged. there was worse things you can eat for breakfast.

shane got up from the doorway a few minutes later, heading towards a box in the corner of the room and pulling out two sweaters. one was green, with four stars on the right chest, and a plain grey one that said 'bayside' on. he caught me staring at him and grinned, throwing me the green sweater that i always saw him wearing around school.

"you might wanna wear this instead of yesterday's sweater, unless you wanna look like you had a one night stand." shane laughed, pulling on the grey sweater over his head and waiting patiently.

was he flirting with me?

i nodded and tugged off my harry styles jumper. as i did so, the fabric from my t-shirt lifted a little and exposed my stomach, making me blush and turn away from shane's line of vision. i pulled on his green sweater and realised how big it was on me. it fell to around mid-thigh and the sleeves fell down to my finger tips. it smelt of shane, a mixture of aftershave and mints and the faint smell of cigarettes.

shane stared at it for a few seconds. "it looks good on you. better than it does on me, anyway." he bit his lip and chuckled. "at least the weather's not too cold today. we'd better get going, you don't want another late pass, do you?" shane raised an eyebrow.

he was definitely flirting with me.

"uh, yeah. let's go." i stuttered and shoved my hands in my pockets. we locked the tree house up and, as advised by shane, i left my blue jumper in their so the next time i slept over i wouldn't have to borrow one of his. i didn't mind wearing one of his though. i felt kind of cute, wearing another guys clothes. especially his. i watched shane as he climbed down the rope ladder, telling me to be careful, before his feet hit the ground, followed shortly by mine.