six

. . .

ryland's pov

ryland's pov

it's been a whole two weeks since shane had stood up to mr jefferson in front of everyone, and today was the last day of term before the christmas holidays started. i was genuinely so excited. not just because we would have no school, but today i was ungrounded. my mum had gone crazy after shane dropped me off that night, cursing and yelling about how disrespectful i'd been. i listened to her complain for a full hour before she told me i was grounded for two weeks. before, it wouldn't have bothered me that i couldn't go outside or hang out with my friends, but now i was friends with shane, garrett and drew, i wanted to hang out with them but i had to be home as soon as school ended.

nothing had happened romantically between shane and i but we'd grown really close and we would always walk together between lessons, and i'd sat with them every day for lunch. i grew close to garrett and drew too, and occasionally when trisha would eat lunch with us i'd join in the conversation.

the news of shane being bisexual had gone down well with the school, and now shane had even more admirers than before. his ego was thoroughly boosted when guys began looking at him in the corridor, and he would wear his cocky smirk as he laughed.

however, shane appeared at our lunch table ten minutes late last week with a hickey on his neck and his hair messier than usual. when drew had asked, he brushed it off as some random girl in his maths class. he looked down at me through his eyelashes. our eyes connected and i looked away, feeling sad. i felt better by the end of the day when he told me that my hair looked cute, and we were back to normal again.

nothing had happened since then, though, and i was excitedly jiggling my leg up and down, eager for my history class to end and for us to be free. shane sat at the back of the classroom in history, next to trisha, whereas i sat right at the front thanks to the seating plan. i glanced at the clock. we had five minutes left. i turned around and grinned at shane, tapping at the imaginary watch on my wrist. he smiled and gave me a thumbs up back, clearly excited too.

the bell rang and i was out of my seat the second it did so, shane immediately by my side as we walked to my locker. "treehouse?" i asked him, smiling.

"definitely," shane confirmed, "garrett's mum is driving him and drew there after they go home and collect a few supplies. we can go back to mine and then drive there. can you sleep round?" he talked quickly.

i nodded. "hopefully. i'll text my mum and ask if i can sleep at joey's. she doesn't know who you are so she might get funny about it. you know what mums are like. so we're going back to yours? i've never been there before."

we stopped outside our lockers and grabbed our bags. "awesome," shane said as i composed a text to her, "yeah, we'll grab some food. garrett and drew should have drinks covered, and they're bringing a duvet and the plug in heater from garrett's mom's shed. she says she doesn't mind if we keep it there since she brought a new one for his dad for christmas."