Chapter 7: Consternation

Hi guys! I had some free time so I whipped up another angsty chapter for you!

Pictured above is Ben Barnes, whom I envision as my Jack.

Thank you so much for reading and voting and commenting! Love you all!

~Caruscus

------------------------------------------------------

I walk into the dining hall the next morning, heading straight for the drinks and pouring myself a large cup of coffee. I blow softly on the liquid before taking a sip and ignoring the burn as it slides down my throat. I got close to no sleep last night and if I don't get more of this in me then I won't be awake enough for training.

"Hey Crys!" I hear a chipper voice call my name. I look over the edge of my cup to see Jack waving at me from a table near the front of the dining hall. He's sitting with his sister, Felicity. They're both smiling at me. I give them a smile of my own, though it's more strained.

"Hi guys," I greet them, sitting across from them with my cup and holding it with both hands, "how's it going?"

"It's been pretty good, actually." Felicity comments, sending a sly look to Jack out of the corner of her eye. He simply rolls his own in response.

"Sis over here met some guy from Erudite and she thinks she's in love."

"Hey! Don't even try to deny that you like him." She looks over at me. With the both of them staring at me it's clear to see the resemblance between the two. "His name is Lucas and he works in the labs. His dad was the head researcher there for plant molecules."

I smile at her, more genuine this time. "I'm really happy for you, Felicity."

She sits up with a grin, smug. "Thank you. At least someone can be happy for me."

"Shut up, Lis. You know I'm happy for you."

She nudges him playfully. "Well, I have to go meet him now. We're going on a date."

"It's not even eight in the morning yet and you're going on a date?"

She doesn't answer him as she stands and presses a chaste kiss to the top of his head. "Catch ya later, Crys!"

I wave goodbye before taking another sip. It goes a little quiet while Jack finishes up his pancakes, eyes flitting up to glimpse at me every once in a while.

"So," he swallows his food and raises his glass to his mouth, "how are things between you and Eric?"

The coffee turns bitter in my mouth. I try not to act like anything's wrong, but by the way Jack gives me a weird look when my body tenses I know he noticed.

"Not good, I'm guessing."

"You could say that."

He nods, more to himself than to me, eyes looking down at the table in deep thought. When he looks back up I see how young he seems to be in that moment, though he's 8 years my senior.

"Do you have any plans today, Crys?"

I place the cup down with a sigh. "I have training until 6."

Jack rubs his chin for a moment in contemplation before giving me a mischievous grin. "How would you feel about skipping?"

------------------------------------------------------

"Where are we going?" I practically scream, hoping my voice can be heard above the noise of the engine and the wind.