The Rabbit's Plan

The moon high above was the only source of light for the small group as they peered over a hill at a nearby store. It was now closed, all the lights turned off. "So much for getting real food," Chloe grumbled, slightly annoyed. However, Snowball was undaunted by the challenge as a plan blossomed in his mind. "Guys, I have an idea!" he declared proudly. The others stared at him in horror. "What are the chances that this goes very badly?" Mel whispered in Buddy's ear. "Eighty percent," the dachshund replied quietly.

FIVE MINUTES LATER...

"If we get caught, you guys realize we'll go to the pound, right?" Duke reminded the small group that was with him, trembling a little bit. Turning around to face his brother, Max spoke reassuringly, "Don't worry Duke, we're not going to get caught." Ahead, Chloe and Gidget attempted to open the back door to the store. Norman, meanwhile, stayed on lookout.

"Besides Duke, we wouldn't all end up in the pound. Tiberius probably would go to the zoo," Mel whispered, Buddy standing next to him. "I heard that!" the hawk shouted, glaring at the pug. Sighing, Duke asked, "Any luck with the door yet Chloe?" Turning around to face the big dog, Chloe hissed, "If I did, we would be inside right now!" Before Max could offer a solution, Gidget performed a powerful kick at the door, without any luck. "I'm pretty sure that door is unlocked," Buddy remarked. Rolling his eyes, Tiberius grabbed the door handle, turned it, and pulled. The door slowly opened. Everyone glanced at the old hawk in awe. "Pull, not push," the hawk muttered.

Taking a deep breath, Max stepped through the doorway into the dark store.