2 {The Cut}

I'm helping Mum cook dinner for tonight. She has work later so we're making it early.

My Mum, Danielle Thomas, is the best woman in the world. She is always loving, caring and supportive of my every decision. She works as vet nurse for the local veterinary hospital. She's one of the biggest animal lovers I've ever met and someone I aspire to be like. She and I are alone in this world, but it's not all bad times, in fact, we don't really have anything bad going on.

My parents used to fight a lot when I was younger so after years of trying to make it work they eventually chose to divorce. I don't really see my Dad because he lives in Australia now but he comes out for birthdays and sometimes Christmas if I'm lucky. He always calls and texts to make sure I'm okay and that Mum's good. Despite them not being the perfect pair, they still care deeply for each other.

I took my Dad's looks, long, wavy, brown hair and big green eyes. Mum and I don't really look alike, the only thing similar is our nose. Personality wise though, we couldn't be more the same. We both adore singing, laughing and love kids and animals.

"Kens?" Mum looks at me.

"Yeah?" I look up to see slight worry on her face.

"I have something to tell you," she slowly says.

Oh dear God. She's pregnant isn't she.

My eyes widen as the thought immediately hits me and I look at her. She has seemed a little on the chubby side lately...

"What is it?" I ask.

"This will be my last shift,"

"What? Why?" What does she mean 'last shift?' Is she going on maternal leave?

"Work hasn't been doing too well financially so they've had to cut workers," I can sense the pain in her voice. She loves her job more than anything else, and for that to be taken from her because of a lack of money isn't fair.

"You're the best nurse there, they can't just sack you." I argue.

"They want younger people, apparently they can cope the with stress that comes with the job better," she tells me.

"What? That's a load of shit and they know it!"

"I know." Mum focuses back on cooking our chicken pad Thai and I walk up the stairs to my room where I discover a total explosion of notifications on Instagram.

I unlock my phone and head straight onto my favourite app. My entire feed is filled with Dear Evan Hansen posts. Something about free tickets available.

Thanks for reading!
Instagram: mybaysare