Chapter 31

The grass under my fingers was soft. I ran my hands over it, my hair blowing around my face as a warm breeze washed over me. I took a deep breath in, the smell of trees and flowers tickling my nose. I frowned as confusion swept over me. Was I in the Attic Garden? That would be a strange place to put me. I flinched as the sun suddenly glared into my eyes and my eyebrows furrowed. Unless the window was open, the sun wouldn't come inside... and even if it did it wouldn't come in at the angle I could feel on my face.

Finally, I opened my eyes and shot up as my eyes fell on a field, stretching as far as I could see. Spinning around, I saw a forest that seemed to stretch on just as far. I pushed myself off the ground, marvelling at how good my body felt. This place was beautiful. Peaceful. I breathed deeply again, loving the way my chest expanded with warm air. I liked it here. I didn't hurt anymore. I wanted to stay here.

"Wonderful place, isn't it?" I jumped and spun to find a short, brown skinned woman with ice blue eyes and long, white hair. Now that I was closer to her, I realised her clothes were made out animal skin.

"Selene." I whispered and she smiled.

"You know about me?" This seemed to amuse her. I nodded.

"Zak told me about you when I mentioned a white wolf was watching me." Selene smiled as I stood up and dusted myself off. Despite the fact she was shorter than I was I felt like she towered over me. She had a presence that grabbed and held your attention.

"That boy will never fail to amuse me. I've seen some good Alphas in my time but he is something special." She shook her head and I chewed my lip, looking around as suddenly I became uncomfortable. I was alone here. I wanted someone to be with me.

"I know. He's an amazing person." I muttered. Selene had been walking around me but now, she paused, looking me up and now with an appraising glare.

"You know, I knew those two boys were important but I never would have guessed that the brown haired, brown skinned human they spoke to was as well." I wrapped my arms around my waist, watching as she began to circle me.

"I saw you that day. In the market and right before the attack. You were watching Zak and Caerun." Selene nodded, her hair swinging as she moved. She stopped pacing, her eyes sharp as she looked at me.

"I never would have chosen someone like you." I blinked when she scowled. "I don't know what Retria is playing at but, a human? I would have chosen a werewolf, someone older and wiser, who knew the in's and out's of our society." Her lip curled in disgust. "Instead, we got someone like you." Anger pulsed through me. It wasn't like I chose to come here or to find out about the werewolves in the first place. I wanted to stay at home, back then I didn't want to get involved. I didn't want things to change.

"Exactly. What are you supposed to do if you're afraid of change?" Selene smirked at me, like I was a child who'd gotten too big for her boots. I scowled in response.

"You don't know anything about me." I snarled and she sighed, shaking her head.

"And, that's the problem. No one knows anything about you. Sure, you've managed to make people care about you but if they were ever slightly pushed, what exactly could they say they know about you?" I opened my mouth to answer- and then blanked. What did they know about me? That I didn't like marshmallows in my hot chocolate? That I knew how to calm anxiety attacks? That I could sing or that I had fight experience? It was all weak, surface level things that anyone could notice if they spent enough time with me.

I knew what Selene was referring to. I knew what I hadn't told the others. I had sworn to myself that I'd never tell another person as long as I lived, that I would keep it buried and hidden until it wasn't an issue anymore. Until I wasn't around anymore. Because who would want to be friends with someone that fucked up? The moment I told them, they'd never look at me the same and I didn't know if I could handle that.