Chapter 47

With a new pair of orange (Andy had been smart enough not to use red) adorned along the length of my back, I went to find the people I'd chosen to stay with. I'd managed to keep myself pretty well composed until I walked into my room and made eye contact with Zak. The hopeful look in his eyes finally made me crack and I walked into his waiting arms, tears streaming down my face. He didn't say anything, just held me tight as the sobs racked my body.

"I chose you guys. I chose to leave her." I finally managed to choke out through the sobs and Zaks arms tightened around me. The room had a heavy feeling, like everyone was waiting to see who would speak first when Hana stood up from her seat on my bed and rested her hand comfortingly on my shoulder.

"No one's going to tell you that you made the right choice but I can honestly say, I'm very happy that you chose to stay with us. I hope you end up being happy you stayed." I unravelled myself from Zaks relunctant arms and pulled her into a tight hug as well. Hana was so short I almost lifted her off the ground which made everyone burst into laughter.

"Hey, don't break the doll." John laughed from his position by our conjoined door way. Everyone laughed again when Hana turned to glare at him, her expression more like a pissed off cat than a wolf.

"This doll is more capable of breaking you than you breaking her." She announced, waving a finger under his nose. John raised his hands, playing at being frightened but he couldn't keep the smile from his lips. I smiled watching them, my chest suddenly feeling light, like a weight had been lifted off it. Dot sat on the bed, wiping at silent tears as she smiled at me. I returned the expression before looking around. Someone was missing and it was him I wanted to see the most.

I found him standing in the corner, his green eyes wide as he stared up at me like he wasn't quite sure what to think. Like he didn't want to believe my words until he knew they were true. I crouched low, smiling at him as I tried not to start crying again. I had chosen him. He was now my family, I could look after him without any second guesses or doubts. I was his. He'd chosen me first and now I had returned the favour.

"I'm staying, Monkey." His chin quivered even as he raised it in an attempt to stay strong but that only lasted a second before he sobbed and threw himself into my arms. "I'm staying." I whispered several times over as I pulled him tight to me. I wasn't sure if it was for his benefit or for mine. This boy owned my soul and now I knew that I could never have leaved him behind without leaving a part of myself. A heavy hand fell on my shoulder and we both looked up to find Zak standing above us, smiling, his blue eyes glistening with moisture.

"You were the last participant, Princess. It's time for the celebration to start." I smiled, ignoring the tears slipping down my cheeks as I straightened with Cody still in my arms. Everyone raced off to their rooms to quickly get dressed (apparently I was only dressed so early because I had to wear traditional clothing for the ceremony) and I helped Cody put his clothes on the right way round (black pants and tshirt with gold embroidery along the hems) before Zak knocked on the conjoined door and stepped inside when I called him in.

He looked amazing. Like Cody, Zak wore long dark pants, but unlike Cody Zak wasn't wearing a t-shirt. Instead, he had on a strange loose fabric that tied by his right shoulder. It hung loosely on his body so his tanned abs were on show and his hair was pulled into a bun so his Alpha Mark was on show, a few strands waving around his face. The damn werewolf looked like he had just stepped out of a modelling magazine.

"Speaking of, I'm guessing your animal was a phoenix judging by the painting on your back?" Zak asked, gesturing to me as I finished combing Codys hair so it looked some what respectable. I nodded, twisting in front of the mirror in attempt to see it. Zak came up behind me, a grin on his face.