Story Of Jess (Childhood)

Jess Jones Taber

Status : [Alive]

Age At Story Point : [6]

---

All she could hear were screams, glass breaking, yelling.

Jess hid in the closet with her brother, holding him tight to her chest, him doing the same.

She never wanted it to be like this. She never did.

Things didn't always go as you wanted them to turn out.

     "Jess... We've gotta do something. Anything." Her twin brother whispered into her ear ever so quietly, that she would have just called it a whisp of warm wind.

Her chest felt tight, and between the tension, she nodded, then after thinking, shook her head.

     "There's nothing we can do." Her heart sunk at saying that. However, it was the truth. She wasn't a god.

Then she did the most regretful thing in her life.

She jumped out of her brother's arms, and opened up an old suitcase that sat in the closet for years. Jess stuffed in some clothes, random jeans, a sweater, a shirt, some tic tacs, comic books, a maneki neko doll her mother had given her. She zipped the zipper up and just stood there, waiting for something to happen.

She looked into her twin's eyes, which were wide with fright and worry.

     "What are you gonna do?" He asked feebly through all the screaming and fighting going on stairs.

Tears stramed down her face as she opened the closet door and looked out the window. The pale moon, the warm, misty wind, and the sky itself seemed to call her.

     "I'm sorry, Jesse. Tell them I'm sorry."

Then, without another word, as her brother stared, she leaped out the open window and ran away, pulling the filled-up suitcase behind her as it ran over rocks and pebbles.

All that was left was a shoe on the windowsill.