[ 28 ] Hindered Success

It turned out that Bridget the bitch had definitely upped her game since the last time I saw her

It turned out that Bridget the bitch had definitely upped her game since the last time I saw her. Why? Well, because the girl in the mirror in front of me looked nothing like Mckayla Silva.

I gave the credit to the dress, shoes and of course the make up. I thank her as she begrudgingly wished me luck.

Lifting my legs up, I carefully got in the car. I'll probably need it. The opening of his album was today and even though I wasn't too afraid of the people, it was the reporters that scared me.

Yeah, I knew I was being hypocritical considering I used to be in the same industry but trust me that only made it worse. I knew now much one article could ruin someone's life and it seemed ironic how I was now on the other side.

Chill out Mckayla, the attention will be on Mr Romano anyway.

I tried to ignore the thought that I could trip over my dress whilst climbing up the stairs or something. "Huh? What?" I asked when I saw Harley looking at me with a questioning look from the car.

He looked pretty out-there with a sky blue suit and dark orange shirt. "I asked if you were okay? You look a bit pale."

"Yeah, I'm fine," I replied, looking out the window. To take my mind off it, I put in my head phones.

-xXx-

I gingerly accepted the champagne flute that River gave me, before giving him a crooked smile, "You sure you haven't put anything in it this time?"

He grinned before winking, "Can't promise anything." I rolled my eyes before taking a sip of it. By now, I was certain that I was a nervous drinker and I really didn't want to make a scene of anything.

My eyes fell upon River who seemed to be getting more and more attractive by the days. Or maybe that was just because he was in a suit? I scowled at myself. You're going on stage as well as some gossip magazine and you're thinking about that? Come on Mckayla! You're better than this.

I shook my head, as I followed the team towards our seats, on the front row. Clara squished in after River followed by Harley and I somehow find myself stuck in between Joel and Harley.

I gulped as the people from behind started filing in. Half an hour later, the lights dimmed.

The curtains opened and Kevin O'reily stood out. He turned out to be a lot younger than I imagined, only a few years older than me. Either that or he had had a lot of Botox. He made his entrance and talked for a bit before introducing River. The camera went to him and he laughed, giving a dashing smile as I heard some high-pitched girl scream. For a while, Kevin whittled on about the video and that before they played it in the screen above it. Another applause. Et cetera. When I looked at my watch, it had been another half an hour.

When O'reily looked down at where River is sitting again, I know that this was my cue. I took a deep breathe.

Oh fuck. This was it. The final moment.

It was a wierd feeling. I was nervous as hell but I kind of wanted it to happen. I wanted the breakthrough. I needed it. This was my moment.

"So," he said dramatically holding his breath. "I think we can all agree that River Romero absolutely smashed it with his song. I'm pretty sure that the views were one of the highest in the history of music. Shall I tell you why?"

The crowd behind me went wild, screaming yes. "There has been one amazing woman behind all of this. One woman behind the huge success of River."

Okay, he was sticking to the script. That was a good sign.

"The video would be nothing if it weren't for this one person. She is the reason for such a marvellous hit!" He said enthusiastically. I mentally thanked River, glad that he hadn't gone over the top with my line. For once, I felt like I had made the right decision to let him write my part and give it to O'reily.

I stuck my head out a little bit and smiled at him. He responded with an equally large grin, giving me a thumbs up before raising his eyebrows back to the stage.

"She is..." I held my breath waiting for the moment that would be the key to my future. Hopefully, I'd get more offered of directing videos after this even though the first was just a fluke. This would be the milestone in my career.

"Of course the stunning Clara Gonzales!" He shouted as everybody erupted in applause. I froze holding my breath. I didn't understand what was happening. "Thank you for always being there motivating River and supporting him!" The next thing I knew she was on the stage in her stunning gown giving a speech to the audience. Vaguely, I heard one individual yell 'We love you Clara.'

I was in a daze. I didn't understand what was happening. Was I going crazy? Did I need to get my ears checked?

My hands had got clammy without meaning them too as my eyebrows furrowed. Maybe, I'd made a mistake. Perhaps, I was too early and my mention would come later on. Stupid Mckayla.

I'd probably got mixed up on the times. I nodded realising that that was probably it and ignore River's numerous attempts of catching my eye.

I waited. And waited. But that moment never occurred.

I didn't get it. When the curtains closed, I realised that I had been naive. Of course I wasn't going to be mentioned. Nobody knew who I was and they never would.

But I was supposed to be. Everyone in the crew knew that too.

Nobody would ever know who I was. What about all my hardworking? And Clara? Clara? She didn't deserve it. I would have immediately blamed this on her but I remembered how nice she had been yesterday. She wouldn't have done this.

Tears began to form at my eyes. Damn, for once I actually felt hurt. And I knew the one person responsible for this.

I looked up at River who was shaking his head vigorously, miming something for me. It was probably the first time that I was disgusted by him. I'd always hated him but that was just me messing around and deep down I knew that the hate was something else.

But obviously I was wrong.

I jumped out of my chair, pushing through the crowd as people left and ignoring River calling behind me. I couldn't believe that he would actually do that. It was fine for him. He had tonnes of money that he could rely on. He didn't understand that my whole career relied on this moment.

What hurt even more was how he used the chance to glorify Clara. I felt betrayed. Boy, I thought he hated her after everything but clearly I was wrong. Looks could win over everyone and everhing. He could fuck off. I didn't want to go back to being trapped at home. God, I felt another sting in my chest as I realised that I was jobless unless I wanted to go back to News4You.

I had expected for there to be other offer for me to work with singers after this. Kaitlyn had said the first time I met her.

I ran out towards the high street, which was damn hard considering so was wearing the puffiest dress ever, grabbing a cab and making my way back to the hotel. He was wrong if he thought I was going to stay in his room. Packing my suitcase, I check out and map the nearest cheap hotel.

I was done.