Ten

I laid awake in bed for hours. Shaken out of sleep because of a nightmare.

Damien died again. A spear through the heart like the first time.

At least there was no screaming this time, no need to reach for the pitcher of water I kept next to the bed. I was only jolted awake to find myself staring at the gold and white ceiling and the crystal chandelier.

I wondered when the nightmares would stop.

I thought about Damien.

There wasn't a moment he wasn't in my thoughts, in my heart. I'd send him silent prayers - pleas that if he could hear me, he would know what I was doing, why I was doing it.

And that I loved him.

And that when this was all over, we could be together in some capacity, somehow. In the Underworld or in the human world.

We'd figure something out.

Or at least I hoped we did.

It was the smell of breakfast, the sound of those familiar noises of someone searching for pots and pans in the cabinets that pulled me from the bed.

I dressed in a comfortable, modest blue dress I found and went downstairs to find Naida in full cooking mode.

"Good Morning," she chirped as she poured batter into a skillet on the stove. "Pancakes?"

I eyed the slew of ingredients on the counter and nodded. "I can't remember the last time I had pancakes."

A stack appeared on a plate on the island of the kitchen. "Perfect! They're Julian's favorite too!"

I took some of the syrup on the counter and covered the pancakes in them. Taking a bite, I moaned with pleasure, "So fluffy. They're delicious."

She laughed as she continued on the stove.

I dug in. "Where is Julian anyway?"

She shrugged. "Getting everything ready for tonight, I suppose. I had plans of hanging out by the pool or even going for a walk. Want to join?"

I nodded. "Sure."

Instantly, the clothes that Naida was wearing disappeared replaced by what looked like green hiking clothes.

When I looked down at myself, I noticed the same. The outfit looked like it belonged in a Renaissance festival. I had layers upon layers of green and brown with a brown leather-like vest that wrapped around my modest chest in a warm embrace. The green fabric underneath the vest reached my knees in layers and covered the pants underneath them. The sleeves were long, dark green and wrapped around my thumb covering the heel of my palms. Sturdy, heavy, tall boots that covered my knees finished the ensemble.

Naida's outfit was similar with darker and deeper greens than mine.

She smiled. "Did I mention it would be a hike through the mountains?"

It was nearly an hour later when we started our walk.

The forest was quiet, beautiful, haunting. I could hear the wind rustle through the trees, the occasional calls of the animals, the scurrying through the grass.

It was so much like home.

We weren't going anywhere in particular, Naida had said. She just loved to walk through the woods of her childhood.

"This is where you grew up?" I asked as I followed her.

Naida nodded, her ebony curls bouncing. "Yes. Father was the Lord of Skryen before Julian was. Mother was the Lady."