Forty-Two

We spectered to the Underworld immediately after I showered and changed. When I opened my empty closet, I realized that most of my clothes were still in the Underworld. Begrudgingly, I picked a sleeveless button down black dress in the back with a bright floral pattern. It was a special occasion, I told myself, if only because Damien was at last back.

Once we appeared in the Underworld, Oren led our small group down long corridors and doors until we came up against a large set of doors.

Oren turned towards us. "The Council is almost assembled. The Witnesses as well. I will open the doors as soon as the last lord arrives."

Oren turned to leave a room through the doors we came in, taking his Guard with him. Azazeal, Damien and I stood at the still closed large double doors.

Panic gripped me. "Now?" I turned to Damien. "We're doing this now?"

Damien looked at me apologetically. "I'm sorry, Em. It needs to be done as soon as possible." He sighed as he placed his hands on my shoulders. "I'm so sorry to burden you with this. I was desperate. I am afraid that he'll crawl his way back and harm you. Harm the Underworld." He presses his forehead against mine. "You are the only person I trust."

I looked at his eyes. "Why don't you want to take it back?"

He closed his eyes and I could have sworn I felt him shaking against me. "I don't trust that he's truly gone, Em. I-I don't feel like myself."

My heart squeezed. I shook my head placing my hands on his cheeks. "I know you Damien, I know the real you." I tried to search for the term. "I can feel your soul, I felt your energy while he possessed you and I feel it now." I remained strong. "He is gone. You are you. You are the man I fell in love with- this is you."

I heard a deep chuckle. "You fell in love with me." He didn't seem surprised. He said it with mild amusement.

A small laugh did escape my lips. "I guess it took me a while to realize it." I looked at him, determination in my voice. "I will give it back to you when you're ready," I whispered. "But you are you, Damien. I promise."

"Alteaza."

I turned to Oren as he called me. "They're ready for you."

I swallowed the panic starting to bubble in me. "O-okay."

Damien turned towards the doors, his hand perfectly still in my shaking one. "Whatever happens," he said softly. "Be strong. Stand your ground. They will test you, they will want to see you as undeserving of the crown and title." He leaned over to me, his breath tickling my ear. "Dark fae respect power, they crave it. You are the most powerful of us all now. Show them."

I pulled away, looking at his amethyst eyes. "Even you?"

He nodded slowly, placing a stray hair behind my ear. "Yes. Even me."

The double doors opened in front of us flooding the room with new light. My eyes adjusted quickly and as they did, a new sense of dread settled on me.

The room was immense. The high vaulted ceilings made everything in the room seem so much smaller. The wall to the right had windows from floor to ceiling bathing the room in sunshine. As I looked out the window, I could see the Ylee and the bustling city alive with movement.

The remaining ebony walls of the room were bare save for some statues and paintings that decorated some panels of the walls. A large red carpet went down the length of the room, leading up to a large table that took up most of the space. Men and women stood around the table, watching us intently as we entered.

I didn't recognize any of them except for two.

Asmodeus stood near the head of the table we approached.