Forty-Three

Dedicated to @HarleyLaroux her writing is honest to goodness GOALS.
Such an amazing skill, she makes me want to work that much harder.

We appeared in the hall of Julian's home. And as I looked at the surroundings, I felt a warm feeling in my chest.

No matter what, Skryen felt like home to me. I wasn't sure why, if it was the memories or just the distinct feeling of being safe.

I heard the familiar yapping bark and laughed as I saw Woof run down the hall towards us.

I knelt down, opening my arms. "Woof!"

The Pomeranian ran right past me and jumped at Julian's feet. He panted and barked at him until Julian picked him up and scratched his small head.

I frowned at the dog as I stood. "Traitor."

Julian laughed.

I crossed my arms as I looked at Julian with the small dog in his arms. "The look suits you."

He smiled as he scratched him behind the ears. "I don't know why he's taken such a liking to me."

I recognized the wave of laughter and squeals that carried through the house. "Well, it sounds like my parents are having fun."

Julian placed Woof on the floor. "I swear they've been worried about you."

I followed Julian through the house and was met with a large hug as soon as I walked through the kitchen.

"Gods," the young woman breathed. "You're safe!"

I hugged Naida back. I recognized her and the new energy within her immediately. "Yes, we're safe." It felt strange to say it.

Julian cleared his throat. "Her parents are outside?"

I looked at the closed door that led to the outside patio. "Are they all right? I hope I didn't burden you both with them, I didn't know where else to go-"

Naida nodded, pulling away. "Yes, of course! They're absolutely fine!"

Julian looked at his sister suspiciously. "Your voice is higher than usual, Naida, what did you do?"

"What?" She chirped.

I looked at her too. Since Julian did mention it, her voice was unusually raised a couple of octaves.

She gnawed on her lip. "Well, you see, your parents, Emmy, they were a little sad so I gave them a pick me up."

I looked at the table next to us and saw an opened bottle of wine with two empty glasses. "What is that?"

She shrugged sheepishly, still chewing on her bottom lip. "I gave them a special wine."

My eyes widened. "Special wine?"

Julian didn't move. "Naida, you didn't-"

Naida shook her head. "It's safe, I promise. It's really safe. They're fine, they've loosened up, you know, a bit, a lot."

I moved with Julian toward the closed patio door.

"They were saying they'd never been skinny dipping," Naida squeaked.

Julian opened the door widely towards the outside grounds. The sound of splashing and laughter became louder.

Naida continued. "And one thing led to another and-"

As soon as I met him in the threshold, Julian's large burly arm covered my eyes, pulling me away from the door. "Hey!"

"Emylin," Julian was holding back his laughter as he led me away with my eyes still covered. "Come with me to the study, won't you?"