Forty-Eight

Carry You - Ruelle ft Fleurie

"We're going to specter most of the way but since it's a surprise, I need you to trust me and close your eyes."

I didn't hesitate to close my eyes.

I felt his lips on my cheek as he pressed a soft kiss to it, making me smile. Something cold and smooth settled over my eyes and when I touched it with my hands, I laughed.

"Are you blindfolding me?"

I heard him laugh quietly. "Just want to make sure you don't cheat."

I shook my head with a laugh as he tied it behind my head gently.

His hands gripped mine and I felt the small sway as we spectered. He gently pulled my hands leading me forward. A heavy door creaked open and his footsteps seemed to echo as if we walked into a large chamber.

"Sounds like an old door," I mused, fishing for clues.

"Yes," he answered from in front of me.

I felt us specter again then go through another door. "Why aren't we spectering right there?"

"Many of the rooms and wings here are protected from spectering. Even from royalty. Safeguards and procedures, old magic not many can break, nor do we want to."

"Hmm." I smiled. "So we are still in the Keep."

I heard him laugh. "Yes, we are, my clever queen." He gently guided me forward and when we spectered again, the new room was a bit colder than before but not uncomfortable. I felt him move around me until he was behind me, a gentle hand on me at all times. "Take a small step forward."

I did as he said, his hands on my shoulders gently guiding me. The metal floor beneath me creaked, groaned and swayed as we moved. From the way the floor moved, it was as if the platform we were on was suspended from the ceiling.

I felt him tug on the blindfold on the back of my head and when the soft fabric was removed, I gasped at the sight in front of me, raising my hands to my open mouth.

The sky never looked so clear.

There were no clouds, no faint halo of unnatural light within my line of view. The stars twinkled in the dark night like a painter had taken silver and brushed it across the dark canvas. The stars were innumerable. There were more than I'd ever thought I'd see in my lifetime. It was the Milky Way I'd always wanted to see even as a child.

"Do you like it?"

I could barely breathe. "I can't look away."

He chuckled. "Well, this is part of the surprise." He took my fingers and tugged on them. "Come on. This over here is yours."

I finally was able to look away and when I did I saw he had his hand on a very large telescope. I recognized it instantly as the large brass telescope I'd seen in the Magister's Tower then the first time I had been in the Keep.

The gorgeous, ancient brass telescope of my dreams.

He was excited, I could see it in his eyes.

"This is for me?"

He nodded. "If you want it that is. I know how much you like looking at the stars. I thought you'd like it."

I jumped into his arms with my legs around him, making him laugh. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he pulled me closer. I planted kisses on his cheek. "I love it. Thank you."

He laughed. "I've been wanting to bring you here for years." He shook his head. "There's more." He turned me around and showed me a small table with a small lit tea light in the middle with two chairs. He shifted my weight and reached into the pocket of his coat. He pulled out his phone and placed it on the table as one of my favorite singers began to play.