Black Market Jewelry

Natalie trailed in after Jewels. The tent beyond the stand was surprisingly roomy, and the canvas was thin enough that it let in a fair amount of light to see by. There were boxes stacked up in the middle, wooden crates that were label "precious stones" and "silver chains", among other things. There was a boy sitting atop one of the cates, eating one of the fruit tarts that they'd passed by earlier. He was skinny, much shorter than Sam, and his black tunic looked several sizes too big for him. When he saw them come in, he jumped up, surprise written all over his freckled face.

"Johan, go watch the front," Serena said. "Keep an eye on the stand for a few minutes."

He didn't argue, just nodded, shoving the rest of the fruit pie into his mouth while he hurried out to the front of the tent, the flap falling in place behind him.

Serena sank down on one of the nearest crates, motioning for the others to do the same. Natalie settled herself gingerly on one labelled only, "Gold". It seemed to hold her weight well enough.

"What questions do you have for me?" Serena said smoothly. Her smile was cat-like, eyes glittering. She was clearly amused, and Natalie wasn't sure exactly how cooperative the other woman was going to be.

Jewels sighed. "Natalie, do you want to show her the necklace?"
Natalie stiffened.

No, she absolutely did not want to show this woman the necklace. In fact, she could think of nothing less appealing than the thought of handing her mother's necklace over to the dark-eyed woman staring at her right now.

But this is what she had come for, wasn't it? This is why she had picked Serena. She was a jewelry expert. She might know something Jewels didn't.

Reluctantly, she dipped one hand into her pocket and brought the necklace out. The silver charm dangled in the air between them. Immediately she wanted to snatch it back.

Serena's entire face light up when she saw it, and she stretched out a hand. Slowly, Natalie lowered the necklace into her palm, letting the chain pool in the woman's palm, until she had to let go. She leaned back, still keeping her eyes fastened on Serena's face, watching for any sudden movements.

Serena's eyes were wide as she turned the charm between her fingers. "Amazing," she breathed. "I didn't think I'd see one of these in my lifetime. How did you come by this?"

Natalie glanced at Jewels, who nodded. "My mother had it," she said. "She's missing, that's what we wanted to ask you about. If you know anything about the person who had this last."

"Oh yes," Serena said, and she looked up from the necklace, eyes on Natalie's face. Her smile was not pleasant. "I do."

Natalie leaned forward. Her pulse had picked up, thumping wildly against her ribcage. "What? What do you know about her?"

Serena lifted her brows, her smile growing wider. She leaned back on the crate and looked over at Sam and Jewels. "Apparently this information is very valuable to you people. But I'm honestly not sure why I should help you."

Natalie's mouth dropped open. Before she could say anything Sam had leapt off his crate. He towered over Serena. "I'm fully aware of your cat and mouse games, Serena. Don't think it impresses any of us."

Serena didn't even flinch, though Sam was leaning down, his face thrust into hers. She blinked at him, her expression smooth. "Well," she said, "I know you're all out for heroics and rebellion and everything else fun like that, Samuel, but I'm not. Those types of things get you arrested."

"And you sell illegal jewelry," Sam growled. "Your kind of magic has been outlawed for centuries. Just because you've become bold during this war doesn't mean you can't still suffer the consequences."

Serena's face went from smooth to furious, and now she did lean forward, until her face was inches away from Sam's. "You're threatening me, Samuel? You may want to rethink that. I risk just as much as you do with this little meeting behind my stand. Do you know what would happen if the king's soldiers discovered me talking to you in secret like this? And with a human. With the human." She gestured at Natalie, who shifted uncomfortably on the crate.

So she'd been right to suspect they were involved in some kind of rebellion. Apparently enough that they were known by the king's soldiers. No wonder they were hiding out above the tavern.

The tense silence that followed this was broken when Jewels sighed heavily, standing up from her crate. "None of this posturing is necessary. Here, Serena. I brought something for you."

She dipped into her pocket and held out one hand. The oval amulet flashed blue under the light, and Serena seemed drawn to it in spite of her anger. "Let me see it."

Jewel stepped forward, depositing it into the woman's hand. Serena did not, Natalie noted, put down the necklace in her other hand, but she seemed temporarily distracted by what Jewels had offered her.

"Moon stone," Serena muttered, eyes combing over the jewel. "It's been a few years since I've seen this. Where did you get it?"

Jewels shrugged. "It hardly matters. Look, is that worth the information or not?"

Serena smoothed her thumb over the blue stone, and then looked darkly from Sam to Jewels. "Fine, you know my greed won't let me give this back." She glared at Sam. "But I suggest you get out of my face first."

For a moment it looked like Sam would protest, and then Jewels cleared her throat and he stepped back, reluctance clear on his face. Serena smirked at him, and then slid the blue jewel into her pocket before turning back to Jewels. "There are rumors," she said. "That the person who was last known to have the key was caught. They say she's rotting in the palace dungeon."

Natalie flinched, pressing a knuckle to her lips to force back all the questions that wanted to come spilling out. Serena flashed a smug look at her, and beside her Sam tensed, a muscle in his jaw ticking dangerously.

"Just the info and none of your games, Serena, or I'll take the damn rock back."

"You never did manage to grow a sense of humor." She gave him a fake pout and then rolled her eyes. "Fine, if you'll let me continue. I was going to say, I can't confirm that these are true, but I know someone who can. I happen to know there's a palace informer in town. She's visiting this week, actually. Lucky for you, isn't it?"

"And why is she better than our sources?" Sam growled. "How do I know you're not just passing on useless information?"

"Trust me," Serena said, raising one delicate black brow. "She knows about the keys, a lot more than your little spies will."

Natalie shifted on the crate again, trying to keep quiet. Sam seemed to have forgotten she was there temporarily, since she was fairly certain she wasn't supposed to know he had spies in the palace.

Sam was still glowering at Serena. "Who is it?"

"I can hardly give her identity away." Serena sniffed. "Really, how do you get anything done at the little organization of yours? You're bad at this."

Again, Sam looked dangerously close to losing his temper. This time it was Gwen who edged closer and nudged him, and he composed himself, saying in a careful, even voice, "Can you take us to her then, if you can't give us her name?"
"I can ask her if she wants a meeting with you," Serena said. "That's all I can do."

Sam bit his lip, but Jewels jumped in right away. "It's going to have to be good enough. Let's do it."

"Alright, but you're not going to be able to go dressed like that." Serena looked at Sam pointedly. "He'll stand out like a rock troll at a children's picnic where we're going. You'll have to change."

"Into what?" Sam said.

Serena looked extremely pleased with herself. "You're not going to like it at all."