All in the Family

Natalie took a deep breath and plunged forward, just as Mallory's reflection winked out and the guard turned back to his game. The three of them looked up when she barreled in, the expectant looks on their faces turning puzzled when they saw her, a kitchen girl. Or at least she hoped that's what they saw when they looked at her.

She cleared her throat nervously, and then said in a rush, "I just saw it! There's a human girl down there who has it. She attacked me!"

Natalie touched her left cheek, where the serving girl had scratched her. She didn't have to fake how her hands trembled, or how her voice was an octave too high. "She was...she was trying to get information out of my boyfriend and I thought—I attacked her and saw it!"

One of the soldiers got to his feet slowly. The other two were exchanging amused looks, which sent a bolt of alarm through Natalie. It didn't occur to her that they might not see through her disguise, but they also might not take her seriously. Thankfully the third soldier seemed concerned. His dark brows were creased, and he took a step forward, holding out his hands as if he were trying to calm a spooked horse.

"Slow down, girl. What does she have? What are you talking about?"

"The necklace!" Natalie forced exasperation into her voice. "What else would a human have? She has the necklace."

Now the other soldiers did look more alert. One of them started to stand and then paused, half out of his chair. "Are you sure she was human?"

"You're mistaken." The one still sitting looked Natalie up and down with a scornful air. "It was a trinket. Something from the market."

"You know counterfeits are illegal." Now it was the concerned soldier's turn to look scornful. "Come on, Baron. Who would risk that? You two get down there. Where did you see this girl?"

"She was running toward the kitchens." Natalie made sure to gasp the words, sagging against the wall. "I'm sorry, I ran all the way here."

"It's fine." The soldier waved her away. "You two get down there, I'll stay on post."

Natalie's heart sunk. She watched the two soldiers pass her, grumbling to one another and exchanging rebellious looks. She made sure to stay in the same position, bent over slightly, one hand clutching her chest as if winded. What the hell was she supposed to do now? Of course, it had been silly of her to expect them all to rush off together. Of course one would stay. But she hadn't planned further than this.

Her mind was racing as the second ticked by, and she fixed her gaze on the stone floor, staring to panic. There was a shuffling sound, and then the soldier said, "Are you okay? You can't catch your breath?"

Shit.

Natalie started to straighten up, to open her mouth to make up some ridiculous lie. She didn't even know what, something that would allow her to get past and see her mother, and then there were footsteps in the stairwell again, and her heart rocketed into her throat. The soldiers were coming back, she hadn't thought they would discover her lie so fast. She had to get out of here before—

A figure rounded the doorway, taller than either of the soldiers had been, dressed in a black silk jacket.

Edward.

Natalie stared in astonishment. Edward looked like a real silk merchant. His coat was long, and split into graceful tails at the ends, embroidered around the collar. The dark silk was the same color as his hair.