Sunshine in the Darkness

Sam didn't like it.

This he made obvious by a constant string of mumbled curse words and threats directed at Serena, who took the entire thing in stride, and with no little satisfaction it would seem. The tall hunter had been forced to trade his leather tunic for a stained shirt that had both the texture and shape of a burlap sack, and instead of weapons he now carried a soot-coated chimney brush over one shoulder. When Serena had approached him with black makeup, saying he needed to look dirty or no one would believe the get up, he'd looked like he was ready to bite her hand off. Serena backed off and handed the pot to Natalie, who had felt herself blushing while she smudged coal dust onto Sam's cheekbones and down the side of his neck. He'd shut his eyes the entire time, luckily, or she wouldn't have been able to do it.

The tent was temporarily vacated while Serena went to show Jewels and Gwen their options for a change of clothing. So it was just her and Sam for a few minutes, which only made her face flush more hotly.

Sam opened his eyes a moment later, blinking a bit dazedly at her. His gaze flickered around the tent and he seemed to be thinking the same thing she was, because his cheeks colored slightly.

She cleared her throat, forcing herself to dab one last smudge of soot across her left cheek, just over the cheekbone. "There, you look like a proper chimney sweep."

"Thanks," he mumbled, and then to Natalie's surprise he reached out and caught her hand. His hand was much bigger, his fingers strong and rough with callouses, though he was gentle.

"You might not want to touch your face right now. Not unless you want to be a chimney sweep too."

Natalie started, realizing she'd been reaching to brush her hair back without noticing. Her fingertips were completely black, the palms of her hands covered in soot. "Oh, thanks."

Sam grinned at her, and she ducked her head, staring down at her hand to avoid looking at his face. His smile made heat bloom in her chest.

"There's a basin of water in the corner." He nodded toward the side of the ten. "Along the wall there."

Natalie hurried over, relieved for the distraction.

A moment later Gwen and Jewels came in, trailed by Serena. All three of them had traded in their bright clothing for more bland colors, and Jewels reluctantly left her bracelets and necklace in a small wooden chest in the back of the tent. Serena had sworn up and down that she would give them back, but Natalie didn't miss the narrow, glittering looked she sent the box when Jewels turned away to slip the new dress on.

"Your clothes are probably fine," Serena told Natalie. "Grey and black isn't going to attract any attention."

Sam stood surveying the goings-on with disapproval. "We're going into the barracks, aren't we?"

"Excellent assumption," Serena said. "And yes, that's where you'll meet Sunshine if she wants to see you."

"Sunshine, seriously?" Sam looked less than impressed. "What kind of code name is that?"

"You'll see." Serena smirked at him. "And don't look so down in the mouth, Sammy. Brown suits you."

"Don't call me Sammy." Sam looked down at the crate where he'd put his long daggers, and he rubbed his hands over his arms. He looked extremely uncomfortable. "These will be safe here?"