Silk & Deception

After a last few hours of preparing, they were ready, and at first no one made a move for the door. Then Sam sighed and slowly got to his feet, throwing one of Devon's leather bags over his shoulder. "Well, I guess we should go pretend to make music. Everyone knows their places?" He gazed around the table, his expression solemn. Natalie wasn't sure, but she thought he purposefully avoided eye contact with her.

"Edward attempts to get into the barracks, looking for a game of cards." Jewels ticked it off on her fingers. "Loose lips over drinks sink ships, or palaces in this case. Kira will be meeting with her informants, Sam, you and Natalie will find the kitchens and see if you can find information on Natalie's mother, or any rumours that the staff may have heard before heading up to the north tower. I and the rest of our fine crew will be pretending to set up, and spying on the soldiers in charge of the vendors."

"And don't forget the most important part." Sam raised his brows at Jewels, and she grinned.

"How could I?" She dipped into her pocket and took out a fist-sized roll of fabric, unrolling it on the table. There were a number of tiny, glittering jewels wrapped within.

Natalie leaned forward. "What are those?"
"Truth stones." Jewels plucked a few from the table and handed them out, one to each person. When Natalie received hers, she let it lie in the center of her palm, keeping her hand still. It was so small she was afraid she might drop it and lose it in the cracks of the floor. It was beautiful though, deep red, and though it was small it caught the light and glittered fiercely.

"You slip that into someone's drink or food, and it will loosen their lips, no alcohol needed, and considerably more effective. They'll say stuff they shouldn't be saying." Jewels snapped her fingers. "Just like that, you've got all their secrets. And it's small enough that they won't know they've swallowed it. It's more effective in drink though, than food. With food you risk someone breaking their teeth rather than telling you all."

"They key is going to be finding someone it won't be wasted on," Sam said. "Edward will have the best chance in the barracks, but if anyone else gets a chance, give it to a soldier."

They all nodded, and Natalie quickly checked that no one was looking before she slipped the truth stone into the top of her bra. She needed quick access to the necklace if she was going to use it to get her mother out, and it would be less likely she'd need the stone.

The thought filled her with guilt. No matter what Sam thought, this was more important. This was why she'd come here, to find her mother.

They went downstairs in groups, and Kira, Sam and Natalie were the last to leave. They were silent, listening to the sounds of footsteps receding, before Sam got up.

"Alright, let's go."

Kira and Natalie trailed after him, down the stairs. "You know," Kira said, addressing his broad back. "I'm happy to take Natalie to the kitchens after I meet with the contacts. It might look less suspicious, since we did come together as silk merchants. Right?"

"That will take extra time." Sam didn't turn around, so his voice was a little distant, and Natalie hurried down the last couple steps to keep up with them. "I need you concentrating on news from your contacts. Besides, Natalie will be safer with me."

Kira pursed her lips. She didn't look happy, but she didn't say anything. Natalie could feel her face glowing slightly. She was both flustered and irritated by this, though unsure if she was just overreacting. Did he think she couldn't manage herself? She already knew she was going to just pretend she had come looking for food, or pretend that she'd gotten lost in the corridors.