17-Phone Call Quest

Chapter 17

        Last Time:

        My phone started ringing. I picked it up without checking assuming it was one of the girls.

        "Dose anyone know you are on the phone?" A deep male voice asked me.

        I shook my head and then noticed he couldn't see me. "No."

        "Good, keep it that way."

        "Who is this?" I asked quietly. I had a feeling that I didn't want someone know what I was doing.

        "Tyler," he said. Well thank you 'Tyler now I know exactly who you are, not!

        "I think you have the wrong number," I said. I suddenly felt very nervous. Maybe I should hang up...

        "Is this Claire?" the male voice, Tyler, asked me.

        "Yes this is she," I said as I found myself passing my room.

        "Good. I have Charlie and I will return him safely if you do what I say," in that one sentence Tyler had my full attention, and to think I had considered hanging up.

        "Can you drive?" Tyler asked. Maybe he wasn't as well informed as he thought if he believed I could drive.

        "No."

        "Well that just made thinks interesting," his voice said and it started to sound almost familiar. It then clicked I was speaking to Lucas' Dad.

        "Interesting how?" I asked suddenly worried as I now knew exactly who it was I was talking to.

        "That is for me to worry about and you to find out," Tyler said. That statement was hard for me to find comfort in. "You will have dinner normally, then sneaky out, I will have a ride waiting for you."

        "Okay." I said. I was going to do whatever it took to get my brother back.

        "I don't want anyone to know that you were contacted, and if you have someone follow you then just keep in mind that your brother is currently in my care." His words scared me. The idea that someone out there might actually be able to hurt my brother because of something I did scared me.

        I noticed that he had hung up so I quickly turned my phone off.

        "Claire it's time for dinner," Dylan yelled up the stairs. I didn't think it very fair. Dylan was a great actor and had years of experience when it came to lying to our parents. This was new for me. To be honest I wasn't very good at it either, which is probably why I was Dad's favorite.

        "Coming," I said as I rushed down the stairs. I just wanted to get diner over with.

        "Where is Charlie?" Mom asked as she looked at him missing from his chair. Where is Charlie? I was hoping Tyler would tell me.

        "Still at Trevor's," Dylan said but my parents didn't buy it. They looked over at me for my opinion. Personally I think that we should have picked a different person for Charlie to fake sleep over at's house. I mean they didn't know it but Trevor was still a drug dealer.

        "Yeah," it's all I could say with out sounding unconvincing. Could you blame me though? My coach was Dylan.

        "Really? Why hasn't he called?" My Dad asked still unconvinced. Why couldn't he be like those blind stereotypical parents who fell for every excuse?