thirty two

"Babe, wake up."

I groan, rolling over in an attempt to ignore the voice. "Baby, come on, it's Christmas!"

I open one eye, turning my head to find Brandon sitting on the bed with a smile on his face. He claps once he sees I've opened my eyes. "Finally! Let's go open presents."

Reaching for my phone, I check the time. 7:02 AM.

"Brandon, it's 7 in the morning," I whine. "Valerie, it's 7 in the morning...on Christmas! Get up before I drag you downstairs."

Lazily sliding my legs down to the floor, I stand up, stretching. "God, you're lucky I love you."

Today, I'm spending Christmas with Brandon and his family. My family had all gone to Portland for the holiday, and Brandon's immediately welcomed me in. Originally terrified to meet them, they put all of my fears to rest the second I walked in the door last night. I was flooded with hugs, compliments, and a repeating of "Welcome to the family!"

By the time I'm halfway down the staircase, Brandon has already sat down next to the tree, pulling out gifts. "You're like a child," I laugh. He turns to me, scoffing sarcastically. "Because I am a child."

His family slowly trickles into the living room, and we all begin opening gifts. Finally, there's one gift left under the tree.

"Who is that one for?" one of his cousins asks. Brandon smiles as he reaches for it, handing it to me. 

"B, we said no gifts," I say. He shrugs. "I had to get it for you. Now, open it!"

Peeling the paper back, I gasp as I find the polaroid camera that I've wanted for months. "Oh my god, Brandon, you shouldn't have, this is crazy expensive!"

He ignores my cry, laughing. "Baby, you've wanted that camera for...well, for as long as I've known you. Let me spoil you."

Smiling, I stand from the couch, embracing him in a hug. "Thank you, babe."

"You're welcome," he says, returning the embrace. "Besides...you can use it to take cool pictures of me for my Instagram," he tells me.

"You just had to ruin the moment, didn't you?"

_____

A/N - Just a short lil chapter because I'm still in the Christmas spirit.