Chapter 2: A Bentley, Some Birds and a Lampost

Before Darquesse emerged in the temple of the Brides of the Blood Tears, Valkyrie had started to miss riding in the Bentley - a nineteen fifty four black R-type continental, that wasn't exactly inconspicuous but a smooth ride, even in a high speed car chase. However, the Bentley was on its last legs and the next scratch would be its last. Then all the magic the mechanic had performed upon it, all the minute repairs would become undone, and the only way to avoid serious injury was to not be in the car when it happened.

Valkyrie didn't care.

She opened the passenger side door and slid into what had always been and what would always stay her seat.

"Hello Valkyrie," Skulduggery said as she buckled her seatbelt and the car pulled away.

"Good evening Skulduggery," she replied, feigning chirpiness. "How come you picked me up?"

"Can you think of a reason why not?"

Valkyrie smiled. "I was just wondering."

"Truth is, I've been a little worried. I haven't seen you in a while and I tried calling this week but you either haven't checked your messages or your phone has a permanent flat battery. How are you?"

"I'm fine."

"How fine?"

"I have a good job and a nice house and great friends. That fine."

He nodded. "If you say so. I've called Dexter and Saracen. I thought we could all have dinner tonight."

"I can't get you a free meal."

Skulduggery sighed. "Fine. It's not like I took time out of my very busy jam packed schedule to come and take you from your house to your place of work when I could have easily just sat at home enjoying my own company. It's fine. No problem."

"The answer's still no."

She switched the radio on and rolled the window down, sticking her head out like a dog, stopping just short of sticking her tongue out as well. The sensation reminded her of flying, but it was less exhilarating down on the ground. Almost everything was less exhilarating on the ground. She imagined what it would be like to fly like a bird. No worries, no problems, no fear or hate or war. Just the wind and the sun and the rain...and the sights she would see! Soaring over mountains and rolling hills scattered with daisies and dandelions and the sea, glittering in the sunlight or raging in the storm, spitting angry mouthfuls of foam around, waking the whales and tossing the dolphins and sending the sharks into a baffled frenzy...

"Look out!"

Valkyrie snapped out of her trance and drew her head back just in time to avoid the lampost. Skulduggery shook his head as Valkyrie righted herself and breathed a sigh of relief.

"I swear to God, Cain, you're going to drive me into an early grave."

Valkyrie laughed and ran a hand through her hair.

"Over my dead body, Pleasant," she replied. "Over my dead body."