Chapter 17: Diamond Heart

The end of evening waltz ended and then it was predominantly slow music to round off the night. Valkyrie and Skulduggery didn't move from the dance floor, just swaying in silence. Valkyrie just let herself enjoy being close to him.

"I have some things I need to ask you," Skulduggery said after a while. Valkyrie looked up at him.

"Go ahead."

"First of all, I'd like to ask you about that shadow trick you pulled."

Valkyrie half smiled. "Ah. Yes."

"That was necromancy, pure and simple, but I don't understand how it's possible. Necromancy needs to be contained in an object because it's so unstable."

"If I'm honest, I don't really know how exactly that happened. It's like when Darquesse went away, some of her magic stayed behind. I'm my own object. But I'm going to keep it a secret because if the Necromancers find out I'll get experimented on."

"That's probably true."

"Second question?"

"When did you find out China had left?"

Valkyrie froze and looked up at him, her face fallen.

"How did you know?"

"I went to see her and there was no one there and all her clothes were gone. Well?"

Valkyrie sighed and looked away. "Not long ago. A month? Maybe less. She made me promise not to tell."

"DId she say where she was going?"

"No. I mean, she didn't know...but I got a postcard the other day. It didn't have a return adress but it was New York. I wondered why she'd abdicated as Grand Mage, but she said she just couldn't handle it anymore. I guess we've all suffered losses."

Skulduggery nodded. "We have. Some more than others, of course. And now, my final question. What are you hiding from me?"

Uh oh.

Valkyrie feigned non chalance. "Hm?"

"You've been keeping something from me. What is it? You seem...sad and happy at the same time. It's very confusing, and of course I would normally let you tell me in your own time, but..."

"But?"

He sighed. "You seem to be suffering. And you have no idea, Valkyrie, just how much I hate watching you suffer."

Valkyrie's heart melted. Was there any way he could feel the same? Regardless of what China had said, she was still dubious. She'd always considered their relationship strictly platonic, but not anymore. She was head-over-heels in love with him - but he couldn't be. Could he?

"Not here," she reasoned with him, "tonight. We're all sleeping over at mine tonight, aren't we?"

"Yes. Where are Saracen and Dexter going to sleep?"

Valkyrie bit her lip. "Umm...on the floor."

"Okay then. So we're sneaking out?"

"Yes we are. We are doing some good old fashioned sneaking out, Skulduggery."

He dipped his head forwards. "I look forward to it."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Dexter and Saracen did end up sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags, but Valkyrie did manage to find some spare pillows. At twenty to midnight, Valkyrie (back in her protective gear) and Skulduggery snuck silently out of the house with their gifts. Valkyrie's gift was very large and wrapped in blue and white wrapping paper, secured with a gold ribbon, and Skulduggery's was very small and hidden in a small red bag, but she was sure both were of equal value - in sentiment.