Chapter 10: The Return of Valkyrie Cain

The day Valkyrie Cain returned to Roarhaven was the day everything changed.

When she walked into Roarhaven, people moved out of her path. Everyone knew her, and they were afraid of her. She ignored them. They didn't matter.

She stormed into the grand Sanctuary Ravel had built there. Tipstaff recognised her and looked surprised, but obeyed her request to speak with whoever was in charge. Even he was afraid of her. She was taken to the office of the New Grand Mage, Anna Reise.

The corridors were practically empty as she waited to be summomed in. After ten minutes, the big white doors swung open and she strolled in, pushing them closed behind her and savouring the bewildered look on Reise's face.

"Valkyrie Cain." she didn't ask or exclaim. She just identified her. Valkyrie smiled and nodded.

"Grand Mage Reise. It's a pleasure to meet you."

A slight silence invaded the room. Reise half laughed.

"I'm sorry, are you here to see Detective Pleasant? Because he and his two assistants left a while ago..."

"I'm not here for the Dead Men. I'm here to see you, Grand Mage."

Reise opened and closed her mouth like a goldfish, slightly taken aback.

"Erm...ok. Well. What can I help you with?"

"I understand you have a very weighty case going at the moment. Concerning one Lucas Flint?"

"Yes. How did you know his name?"

"That's irrelevant. But I know someone who has taken his...products and I think I can help with this case."

"You do, do you?" Reise seemed to be getting less interested. Valkyrie nodded.

"Yes. I do. i have a primary source and evidence and, most importantly, I have been detective at this Sanctuary for years and I was very highly respected. I'm no ammetuer, Grand Mage."

Reise was silent for a moment and she chewed her lip and Valkyrie took a closer look at her face. She was stern and pointy, with thin mousy hair with streaks of grey running through it. Not an old type of grey; more like silver. Her overall appearence was rather young.

She sighed. "I don't think there's much I can do for you Valkyrie. You're still a teenager. I can't employ minors."

"Does it look like I've just made a suggestion?" Valkyrie's voice grew stronger and Reise istantly stiffened, slightly worried at what she might do. "I'm not asking for your permission, Grand Mage. I'm telling you, I want back in."

Reise averted her gaze and looked down at the papers on her desk. "You're not just coming back to be around your friends, are you?"

"I just sent the closest thing I have to best friend off in a taxi to a hospital after finding her passed out in the staff bathroom high as a kite and almost dead. My friends have nothing to do with any of this."

A silence passed.

"She doesn't have a job, any more, Grand Mage Reise. I made her resign."

"You do realise the kind of caseload you're taking on?"

"Of course I do. I'm no fool."

Reise raised her eyebrows and sighed, blowing out her cheeks.

"Well. In that case, welcome back, Detective Cain."

*******************************

"Morning Skulduggery."