~Chapter Seventeen~

~Chapter Seventeen~

I climbed off Severus and sat at a desk so I could pretend to be a normal student. Not a student who was just sat on her professor's lap.

Severus coughed and smiled at me. "Come in."

Never in a million years would I have expected to see the person who was on the other side of that door. Her hair was a mixture of black and grey but the silver streaks were the only give away of her age. She could have been the poster woman for a pureblood, with her expensive robes and superior stare.

"Zadravei skupi." Her Bulgarian accent was rich as she said hello my darling in her native tongue.

"Baba?" I whispered. It was so easy to sink back into the language I spoke for years.

"Katrina do you know this person?" Severus asked in confusion.

He doesn't speak Bulgarian so he didn't realise that 'baba' means grandmother.

"Professor Snape, meet my grandmother Lady Karkaroff. She died years ago."

She laughed at how I introduced her. When I was younger I adored the way her laugh was calming and it made you want to laugh with her. But that was when she was alive. In this moment her laugh was like nails on a chalk board.

"Kak si tuk?" I asked her how is she here. I went to her funeral and I saw her body.

She gazed at Severus in amusement as he tried to stand in front of me. She switched to English, I'm guessing so that Severus could understand her. "Don't worry yourself over the details my angel. Now the reason I am here is a more enticing conversation. You have been given the gift of the Death Mark and I've come to aid you in this journey."

"Lady Karkaroff." Severus bowed his head in respect towards my grandmother.

"Severus Snape, the Dark Lords right hand man. It's a delight to see you again." As she moved closer to us the room started to get colder.

"We've met before?" Severus asked. It was a shock to me when my grandmother said they had met but off course Severus is older than me. That fact always seems to escape my mind.

"Don't worry I'm not offended as you shouldn't remember me." She raised her hand to touch her cheek but something inside of me made me step in front of Severus and twitch to grab my wand. She may look like my grandmother but I don't trust her.

When I was younger I could see that she had darkness inside of her but right now in this moment, I can feel it. I bet Severus can as well and that's why I don't want her getting any closer to him. His darkness was made over time but I was born with mine. Unlike me he knew a time without it.

"I have Professor Snape to help me. I don't need a dead woman." She rolled her eyes.

"You don't have to call your boyfriend Professor Snape in front of me my angel. You chose well I just don't know if your father will think the same. I love him of course but he's always been weak and you've always been strong." As soon as it became clear she knew about Severus I took his hand in mine.

"My father is not weak." I went to step forward but Severus pulled me back.

"He gave names when questioned because he was too weak to withstand Azkaban. He gave the name of your best friend, your dear Barty." Severus couldn't stop me from stepping forward.

"He wasn't aware we had developed a friendship. He was in Azkaban." I stressed.

I never told my father about my friendship with Barty because I knew it would kill him as it killed me. The cost of my father's release was my best friend's freedom. If he knew he would have told me what he had to do straight away and we would have gotten through it. He wouldn't keep something like this from me.