prologue

my prologues are always short, what do you expect, really? but you absolutely have to read this, i know some people skip prologues. you caN'T SKIP THIS ONE!

art by sydsketch on tumblr!

//

After almost an entire year of living in a too-small house the five of them had grown increasingly tired of it. There were constant arguments regarding who was spending too much time in the bathroom, someone stinking it up or making the mirrors foggy after a shower - but that was just the beginning. There was constant complaining of who got to sit at the small table containing four chairs, fighting over who got to or had to cook in their kitchen meant for a single person, and who in their right mind decided to let three boys share a bedroom?

Plus, Lily, being the only girl, was more tired of it than the others. Well, that's not exactly true, because there was someone who had reached his breaking point before her, and honestly, she couldn't blame him. Remus was exhausted, he couldn't live like this anymore. So, when he called a meeting with everyone a few days after one particularly nasty spat between he and Sirius, she was relieved to hear his solution. Once it was announced, however, she was suddenly less enthused and more confused - or even annoyed.

She expected something like letting James and Lily move out on their own, or the other three moving out and letting the couple have the tiny house to themselves. Or maybe all of them moving into a larger house, or even a large flat in Muggle London, but of course, no such luck. Remus Lupin, the most logical of them all, had suggested moving overseas to America. Well, no, not quite that; he didn't want to move there - no, he wanted to go on a road trip across America.

Now, she'd be lying if she said the idea didn't appeal to her because it most certainly did, but with all five of them? Definitely not, so she voiced her opinion. Remus went on to explain his reasoning, and after hearing it, Lily was rather pleased. He explained that they were growing tired of each other, and if it went on the way it currently was, they wouldn't talk anymore a year down the road and he was not to keen to allow that to happen. He said doing this would give the friends that sense of adventure they all craved; it would give them more memories, and most importantly it would give them the space they needed.

After another long, long moment of silence, Lily finally spoke up. "I'm not usually comfortable doing something so spontaneous, but after dating James for two years you kind of need to be ready for something like this, so I'm in. I think it's a good idea and it would be just what we all need. We were all Gryffindors and we crave adventure, don't we? We're brave. What's braver than leaving everything behind and moving to a completely new country?" Once Lily had agreed, James did too.

"Lily is right," Peter agreed finally, looking away from the plate of cookies sat on the counter next to the stove. He, like James, had an inclination to agree and go with whatever Lily said. He reminded her of James in his first year, pining after her like a sad puppy. The only difference, he didn't pine, he just followed. She knew he didn't like her romantically, he just considered her a good friend, and she was thankful.

"I suppose I can't be the only one of us left behind," Sirius sighed, leaning back against the counter, smirking. "I'm in."

//

whooooo thanks to plebeians- for literally just giving me the motivation to do this (and being my beta!), i've been thinking about it for a few days but... i don't think i would've started it if it hadn't been for her. anyway, some of this will be from lily's view, this IS a wolfstar fic, i know most people panic when it starts off from someone else's pov, but don't worry. 

***playlist will be added here probably when one is officially made, with the except of a few stragglers***

1.) Simple by The Moth & The Flame
2.) Staring at the Sun by TV On The Radio
3.) Black Dog by Led Zeppelin
4.) Hello My Old Heart by The Oh Hellos
5.) I'll Follow The Sun by The Beatles
6.) I Always Knew by The Vaccines
7.) God Only Knows by The Beach Boys
8.) The Logical Song by Supertramp
9.) Howlin' For You by The Black Keys
10.) Dancing In The Moonlight by Alt-J
11.) My Sharona by The Knack
12.) I Hope To Be Around by Men I Trust
13.) Nara by Alt-J
14.) Like Real People Do by Hozier
15.) Start Me Up by The Rolling Stones
16.) All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix
17.) Wetsuit by The Vaccines (!!!!)
18.) Walking On The Moon by The Police
19.) Hold You in My Arms by Ray LaMontagne
20.) I'm Yours by The Script
21.) High Hopes by Kodaline
22.) Cold Cold Cold by Cage the Elephant
23.) Disarm by The Civil Wars
24.) I Only Lie When I Love You by Royal Blood
25.) Not Nineteen Forever by The Courteeners
26.) Bros by Wolf Alice
27.) Putting The Dog To Sleep by The Antlers
28.) It's OK, I Wouldn't Remember Me Either by Crywank
29.) You're Somebody Else by Flora Cash
30.) Landfill by Daughter
31.) Only by RY X
32.) Saturn by Sleeping At Last
33.) Unfair by The Neighborhood
34.) Howl by Florence and The Machine
35.) Kettering by The Antlers
36.) Counting Paths by Matthew and The Atlas
37.) Roslyn by Bon Iver & St. Vincent
38.) Byegones by The Volcano Choir
39.) Do You by Carina Round
40.) Two Men In Love by The Irrepressables

this is a post-hogwarts au, so their life after hogwarts. definitely not canon, sadly, and i don't own any of the characters or anything. i wish i did hhh. 

anyway- this updates will be weird bc i don't have 10+ chapters prewritten before i post it, so there is also the possibility of this failing and having it be unpublished in the upcoming couple weeks/months. if you like it let me know, i'm more likely to keep up with something if i know someone likes it. 

WAIT I'M NOT DONE THIS IS IMPORTANT WAIT! this is not set in the 70/80s like it's supposed to be, it's modern bc... it's easier, i suppose.

this is so strange this is weirdly spontaneous for me, hmm

that's all for now!

-kota