Kota

The newsletter team has been writing up a storm to create 14 one shots dedicated to each of our Academy guys. Each day for the 13 days we will be posting a Christmas oneshot. Starting with the Ghost Bird team these one shots will be posted in the order of how Sang and Kaylee meet their guys. Below is the first of our 14 fics. Merry Christmas and enjoy!

On the first day of Christmas our Academy gave to us!......

Day 1.

Kota Saves Christmas by yobshabob

I looked at my team and wanted to scream. This wasn't us. This wasn't how we were supposed to react.

"I'm done. I'm out." Nathan slammed the door as he blasted out of my living room, and when I looked to Mr. B for direction, I saw the same defeated look on his face. What was happening to us?

"Actually, I think Nate has the right idea. We can't come back from this, guys. I'm sorry, but I think I'm going to go too." Victor shook his head as he stood, and turned away from us. "Gabe, you need a ride?"

Gabriel looked lost, and didn't answer. After a moment, Vic followed Nate's path, though without slamming doors or stomping. His departure seemed to be the one that broke the dam. Luke and North left right after him, and with a sad shake of his head, Si went without a word. I glanced around my living room. Mr. B and Doc weren't making eye contact with one another, and Gabe looked like a wild animal in a cage.

"We can fix this." None of them moved when I spoke, so I tried again. "Guys. We can fix this!"

Doc started mumbling under his breath in Japanese, and left without acknowledging any of us. Mr. B grabbed me on the shoulder and shook his head. "Maybe it's best you let it go, Mr. Lee. It obviously wasn't meant to be."

As I watched Mr. Blackbourne leave, it was like my hopes were being crushed right then and there.

"Fuck." I spun as Gabe started spewing venom at all of them. "They don't deserve shit if they can't even fight for what they want. Fuck them and fuck you too, Kota. You should have stopped them." He was about ten seconds away from full-blown panic. "How the hell did this happen? What did we do?"

It about broke me to see tears pooling in Gabe's eyes, and before I could answer, he bolted. A second later, I heard my car start up in the driveway, and I figured he took it.

It was over.

I stared at the empty room--at the evidence of my team--and slumped down onto the couch. Dropping my head in my hands, I started to count the squares on the rug beneath me.

1...2...3...

There had to be something I could do.

4...5...6...

Damn. It wasn't working.

12...18...24...

If I could think clearly, maybe I could find a way to salvage everything.

30...36...42...

42.

Life, the Universe, and Everything. That was it. I could fix everything if I started to work on it immediately. I wasn't giving up on my family. I wasn't giving up on Christmas!

***

With a plan in hand, I turned up Luke's favorite Christmas CD and started to make a list. First, I needed to know what exactly had gone wrong.