The Sister

Jess and I were driving to the second possible location for the wedding.

She wanted it to be on the beach and I wanted her to have everything she ever wanted so a beach wedding is what we'll get.

We were going to be home for a week, the length of JJ's Spring Break, and it was the third. The second was spent telling everyone who would be in the wedding.

We chose our wedding planners, yes we have two, and at the time our mothers were working with them to arrange flowers, cakes, decorations, etc.

I pulled to a stop at the beach, got out, and got the door for Jess. She stepped out and took my awaiting hand as we went down the beach.

There was a beach house type place that we stepped into.

"Hello," we turned and saw a dark skinned woman wearing a white romper waving at us.

We spoke with her about possibly renting the beach and she took us for a walk.

"If you rent the beach out, this area would be where the ceremony takes place, the inside of course could be used for preparations, and over there would be where the gazebo would be set up for the reception." She explained.

Jess nodded and I looked at the lady," we would like a moment to walk around, think for a moment."

She nodded and left.

My fingers laced with Jess' as we walked.

"What do you think?" Jess asked.

I shrugged," it's nice. I guess."

She stopped and looked at me, her hand on my chest," how many times have you been to a beach?"

"Around ten times. I don't exactly prefer them."

"Then why would you want a wedding on the beach?"

"Cause it's what you want, and I want you to be happy. End of discussion." I shrugged.

We kept walking silently for a few minutes.

"Why don't you like beaches?"

I frowned. I never told her about Abby. Truthfully I didn't talk about her much so it never came up. I guess now's as good of time as any.

"I use to go to beaches with my sister, Abby." I eased into.

Jess sucked in a breath," Abby?"

I nodded," my older sister. 5 years older than me. She uh, she passed away when I was 12."

"How?"

"COPD, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It's a disease that attacks the lungs blocking airflow and making it difficult to breathe." I explained.

We had stopped walking at that point.

I ran a hand over my face and looked out to the horizon," she had coughing fits a lot and one time she collapsed which led to us finding out about the COPD and Abby didn't have it that bad, still we did what we could to make sure nothing harmed her lungs more, but because the people she hung out with smoked a lot, that damaged her lungs to the point where she could no longer breathe on her own. So she needed an oxygen tank and the last place we went before she was permanently admitted to the hospital was Eufaula Beach."

***Flashback***

"Abby! Abby! Look!" Ali called from her spot next to Austin.

They were building some huge sandcastle, the bottom wasn't the best but the top looked decent.