Arc 32

You sat down on the couch in the backroom of the cafe, listening to the boys catch up.

"(y/n)," The blonde gestured for you to meet him in the hallway. You followed, closing the door behind you.

"Yeah? What's up?" You asked.

"I need you to stay out here for a little."

You tried your best to subtly frown. "Okay."

Thinking about what you might have done wrong was confusing. You didn't know when you and Kurapika had suddenly drifted. It was ironic really, since you felt closer to Leorio than you did with him.

You checked your watch. Two hours had passed.

Almost a year ago you could remember staying awake together during the exam, yet now you hesitated to even say hello. Fate? What Gon was rambling about wasn't true. Even if fate wanted you to meet again, why was it so hard? You realized it now, that over time everyone changes. The way you look at and feel about someone fades when you change anyway.

What was the point?

You turned on your phone, and typed a message to Kurapika saying you were going back to the hotel. You shoved your hands in the pockets of your cardigan, walking down the hall. While leaning against the wall, you waited for the elevator. Soon enough the doors opened.

"Don't go." A familiar voice made you hesitate.

You turned to face the blonde, a conflicted expression on your face. So many emotions started to build up inside of you at the sight of him.

"Stop confusing me! You're the one that said we aren't friends, so stop acting like it!" It hurt to even look at him. "Sometimes we are friends, sometimes we're just strangers. Other times I don't even know how I feel.. Just stop making it so hard."

He started walking towards you.

"Just when I think you don't want me around, you tell me not to go. It's not fair. With everyone else it's so easy for you, but with me it's hard. Why.. Why do you hate me?"

"You're right, you're the only one who causes trouble for me." He brushed his fingertips against yours ever so slightly. ".. But it would be even more trouble if you left," Your eyes widened as you watched him gently take your hand. "All the memories we made, more than anything I don't want to lose them.." He squeezed it tightly as if not wanting to let go. "I don't want to lose you."

You're body acted on its own when you wrapped your arms around his neck. You could feel the tears welling in your eyes as you rested your chin on his shoulder. He had been more lonely than you thought, and it hurt you to see him this way. The Kurapika that had seemed like a totally different person was only pushing you away because he wanted to protect you. He seemed so far away, yet he was actually at your fingertips. In a way, you felt relieved—he hadn't changed at all.

"You idiot," You sniffled, "Why didn't you just tell me?"

You felt the blonde relax under your touch.

"You're not alone, so stop trying to keep everything to yourself. If you hadn't told me, I would've left for good, you know?" You pulled away and gazed into his eyes. "From now on, we're in this together. We protect each other, okay?"

Kurapika nodded, resting a hand on your waist.

"Okay." He brought the other hand up to your cheek, wiping away a tear. "But, why are you crying?"

"Because!" You hastily wiped your eyes, "I'm sorry for giving up on you.. Next time I won't, okay?"

It almost made your breath hitch when he chuckled before pulling you in for another hug. "Okay."

— ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ ♰ ♱ —

I️ just wanna say that without all of you who have been supporting me, I️ wouldn't be where I️ am today—and for that thank you. I️ hope that with this year coming to an end, you can continue to support me. In return I️ will try to be a good Author-San.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 4K READS AND PUTTING THIS BOOK IN THE TOP 4 IN THE SEARCH RESULTS ! AND FOR 200 RATES AND 100 COMMENTS !

:')

Love, Kai( ◠‿◠ )

Love, Kai( ◠‿◠ )