Chapter 20: Someone to Watch Over Me

It had taken months, but I had finally gotten comfortable with Keel's absence from my stratosphere. Arthos' lessons, which over time had graduated into excursions to various parts of the compound, kept me busy and exhausted. As the weather outside warmed, I checked the bond less and less until I'd all but stopped attempting to surmise where Keel was and what he was doing. Instead, I threw myself into my studies and I excelled. In Arthos' pop quizzes, I could name all the dates and locales of historic Nosferatu conflicts; I could list crimes and punishments, and the years each found their way onto the books; and I could name all the cities across the globe that housed Nosferatu seats of political power. My muscles blossomed with growing sense memory of several new styles of physical combat, which I channelled through the techniques I'd learned during my early lessons with Bruce. And to my surprise, I was becoming competent and confident. And with each achievement, Keel's absence faded, and I became more convinced than ever that Arthos had been right, I would find a way to make my own place among the vampires.

Still, there were moments - usually when the rest of the compound slept and I was hounded by insomnia - that I longed for a companion, not just someone my own age, but for the type of friend I could say anything to. No matter how much learning I crammed in, it was never enough to put a stopper in my loneliness.

My 17th birthday was celebrated with my tutor. Nosferatu didn't have restaurants in the traditional human sense, but Arthos went out of his way to secure a table and chairs, the proper place settings, and even a fancy floral centrepiece with real wild flowers. We shared a meal together, though he didn't eat. It was nice, if subdued. He'd put in so much effort, I didn't have the heart to tell him that teenage birthdays were usually heralded in by raucous parties and illicit alcohol. When we were done, he slid a black velvet box across the table. It was nearly as big as my palm.

"I understand it is customary for humans to exchange gifts on anniversaries," he said.

I nodded, too stunned to speak, no Nosferatu, not even Keel had ever given me a present, unless my father's phone number counted.

"But we're not topside and you're not human. We should be observing Nosferatu traditions."

"Is that what you want?"

I looked at the box and considered what I'd learned of Nosferatu culture. Birthdays were formal affairs, packed with evolving oaths and rituals and an increase in responsibilities. "No," I said, and reached out and retrieved the box, brushing my fingers over its soft fabric top.

"Well, then happy birthday."

I gripped the edges and flipped open the lid. Inside was met with the most striking necklace I'd ever seen. A trio of rubies burst out of a setting of white gold, sparingly tinted green to look like thorns and vines. "It's beautiful," I said, trying to think if anyone had ever given me anything nicer.

Arthos rose from his chair, rounded the table and took the box from my hands. A couple moments later, the chain fell around my neck and I could feel Arthos' chilly fingers fastening the clasp.

"How does it look?" I asked, when he returned to his chair.

"Like an ornament fit for a sorceress."

I tried not the blush as I thanked him again.

"Are you sure His Majesty won't be upset that you are giving me presents? Couldn't that be seen as some sort of bribe or attempt to buy favour?" At least five different legal lessons were swirling around in my head.

Arthos looked uncomfortable for a moment, but collected himself. "No, it's fine."

"I can make sure I wear it under my clothes if you think it will get you in trouble," I said. I still struggled with residual guilt from Arthos' starvation days in the stocks.