Afterword

Ruler is my fourth novel, third in this series, and it's the hardest book I've ever written.

It was difficult not only because of the challenge I set up for myself - something I do at the beginning of each book to encourage my growth as an author. In this case, take a beloved character to the brink of no redemption, perhaps some would say past it, and then rehabilitate them. (Did I do it? I don't know, but I tried, and I always try.) But what was hardest was that my life changed completely in the five years it took me to write this book, much like how Mills and Keel's lives changed from the beginning to the end of it. When I started, I didn't have daughter, and I didn't know my someday daughter would be diagnosed with a disability. Back then I had a career I loved more than anything in the world, and it evaporated like so many journalism jobs do. Two years out, I'm still only figuring out who I am now, because most mornings I wake up damned certain it isn't that person I was five years ago.

All of it was challenging, and what they say about the hard times is true: you learn who your friends are and aren't when the going gets tough. And I sure did. Also hard. Which is also why I'd like to dedicate the soundtrack song on the final chapter to all of you, because as LP sings You know you're home when you find the ones who stay / Brave enough not to tame / They let you burst into flames / Stoke the coals and then watch you blow / They're the ones make you trust in the universe / When you're lost and you're left and it's getting worse /They're the ones who you know will get you by.

In this moment, you're the ones. You stuck with me, you got me by. We finished this book! So thank you for that. Sorry it took so damned long.

To be completely honest, there were moments where I wondered if I'd ever get it done (you probably wondered that too). Moments where it seemed impossible. But in those moments I reminded myself that I didn't want to be like those TV series that broke my heart when they got cancelled mid-storyline. I also knew that if I didn't finish this book, I'd never write another story again. And there were moments where that seemed like a real prospect. But not anymore.

Ruler is done, and I'm about to hit that little "completed" button next to the story. I've been working on getting my life in order, and now I get up each morning and ask myself what I want my life to be, instead of endlessly reflecting on what it's been and isn't anymore. Maybe that's something Mills and Keel taught me while writing this novel. They even have lessons for me sometimes. Bless them both. And all of you.

Of course, this also means we're now at the part where I go away for a little while to write Book 4. Don't be surprised if I come back and pick up some other On Hold project in the meantime, but mostly, see you in the fall/winter!

Patrons will continue to get first look at all new Blood Magic Saga fiction, including sneak peeks at Rebels, Blood Magic Book 4. As well, for the next few months we're going deep behind-the-scenes as Bleeder finally makes that great big leap from screen to paperback and hardcover. Find all that at http://www.patreon.com/monicaskuebler

You can also follow me online on Twitter (at)monicaskuebler and Instagram at (at)deathofcool

The Blood Magic Saga has a fan group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/boundbybloodmagic/ (It just might time to host another group reading of the series.)

And an official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/bloodmagicsaga

And a website: http://www.blood-magic.net

As always, thanks so very, very much for reading (and voting and highlighting lines and telling me what you're thinking - I love that stuff so much), and if you'd be so kind as to share a comment/your thoughts about the book and/or the series (if you haven't already), you'd really make my day (hell, week, maybe month even).

Much love,

Monica