Part 2

Alec knocked on the door to Magnus's place.
The door opened to the sound of classical music and Magnus with a drink in his hand.
"Ah," he said, smiling and setting the drink down. "Isn't this a delightful surprise?"
He pecked Alec on the lips, and Alec stood there solemnly, wondering why he came. He'd just ruin Magnus's good mood.
"You can come in Alexander," Magnus said, as Alec continued to stand in the doorway.
Alec slowly walked into the apartment. Magnus took a swig of his cocktail, humming along with the music, until he turned around and saw Alec's defeated figure standing by the doorway.
"Alexander," Magnus said, setting his drink back down. "What's wrong?"
"Nothing," Alec said quietly, feeling tears come to eyes again.
"Alec," Magnus said, stepping towards Alec and taking his hand. "Talk to me."
"Noth-" Alec got out, before a sob wracked his body.
"Woah," Magnus said, taking Alec into his arms. "Breathe, honey."
Magnus held Alec at arms length. He gently cupped Alec's cheek in his hand. "Alec," he said, running his thumb over Alec's cheekbone. "It's okay. You can talk to me, you can tell me anything." He slid his hand down to rest on the side of Alec's neck. Alec continued to look at the ground, tears still flowing down his face, shaking.
Magnus ran his thumb over Alec's collarbone, looking at him with concerned eyes.
His brow furrowed. "What happened to your cheek?" Magnus asked, gently touching Alec's cheek with soft fingertips.
Alec scrunched up his eyes. Magnus touched Alec's chest. "Alexander..."
"My mom," Alec said, eyes still shut. He clenched his teeth, regretting what he said immediately. He brought a fist to his mouth, and bit down on his knuckle. He turned away from Magnus, sobbing.
"What?" Magnus said, sounding slightly shocked. "She hit you?!"
Alec flinched at his raised voice.
Magnus took a second to collect himself. As much as he wanted to kill Mrs. Lightwood right now Alec needed him.
He walked over to Alec and pulled him tightly into his arms. He held Alec against his chest, one arm holding his waist as tightly as he could without hurting him, the other hand running up and down Alec's neck gently.
Magnus didn't know how long he stood there holding Alec, but he didn't move until Alec pulled away.
"I'm sorry," Alec said, looking at his hands. "I shouldn't have come. I ruined your good mood. I'm sorry. I'll go."
"Alexander," Magnus said, grabbing his hand. "No. No, you won't." He pressed his lips to Alec's forehead. "You'll stay with me tonight, okay?"
Alec continued to look at the floor.
Magnus squeezed his hand. "I want you here Alec, with me, safe."
Alec nodded. "Good," Magnus said. He kissed Alec's hand. "Come on," he said, leading Alec to the couch. "I'll put on RuPaul and make you something to calm you down. Then we can talk, okay?"
Alec nodded again. Magnus wrapped him in a blanket. "I'll be right back, okay?"
Magnus went to the kitchen, and with shaky hands began making tea with some calming tonic for Alec. What was he going to do? He couldn't let Alec stay there, it was killing him. Did Jace know? Was he letting this happen to his brother? Where would Alec go? He couldn't go back to the institute as long as his mother was there. But there was no way his mom would let him stay here?
Deep breaths, Magnus thought to himself. Just deal with one thing at a time.
     Magnus brought the steaming cup back to the living room. "Here we are," he said, handing it to Alec. Magnus sat down next to him. Alec just stared into his drink. Finally Magnus gently pulled him into his lap. He wrapped his arms around Alec's chest. "Just drink the tea," he said gently into his ear. "You'll feel better. I promise."
     Very slowly Alec finished the drink. He leaned his head against Magnus's chest. "Feel a little better?" Magnus asked, drawing patterns on Alec's chest with his fingertips.
     "Yeah," Alec said hoarsely, turning his head to look up at Magnus. "Thank you Magnus."
     Magnus leaned in gently kissed Alec's lips, his hand grazing the other boys jaw.
    "You wanna talk?" Magnus asked.
     "Yeah," Alec said.