Chapter 5

Tara's POV

He's..... He's in love with me?

"Wait..... What did you just say?" I asked Colby.

"I know it's weird to say it so soon... I just... But from the moment I saw you, I liked you. But once I got to know you, I felt comfortable around you, and after I left the beach, I knew I liked you in a whole new way." Colby said.

"You mean it?" I replied.

"I mean..... Do you feel the same way?"

A billion thoughts rushed through my brain. He said he loves me and now he's asking if I love him too? We just met, but we know so much. I know his story and he knows most of mine. I do feel something towards him but I can't tell what that is yet...

"Can... Can you give me some time to answer? I know I feel something towards you, I just haven't figured out what that is to me yet.... Is... Is that okay?" I asked.

"Of course." He looked at his watch. "You have 2 minutes."

"Colby!"

"Just kidding!" Colby interrupted. "I'm just kidding, Tara. Of course I'll give you time. After all, it hasn't even been 24 hours that we've known each other, right?"

"Yeah. But it feels like much more." I said. Oh, regrets...

Colby looked at me with something indescribable in his eyes. It was something like love... Or maybe just friendliness... Maybe it was just something he wouldn't forget... Like I said, it's impossible to describe it.

Whatever it was though, I seemed to return the look. We smiled.

"Hey! What are you two doing back here?" Sam yelled, running back towards us. I hadn't even realized that we'd been in one spot the whole time.

"Just talking." Colby said instantly, not taking his gaze away from my own eyes.

"Mm-hm. Sure. Let's just keep walking." Sam rolled his eyes playfully.

We kept walking, Colby occasionally glancing at me. We played a bunch of games throughout the day, and eventually Sam wanted to leave. Colby didn't though.

"Colby, I want to go back to the hotel." Sam repeated for the billionth time.

"Well I don't. How about-"

"Colby, we only have the one rental car. We both can't drive around here." Sam cut him off.

"Sam, you can go back to the hotel and we can stay here for a while. And I can drive Colby back to your hotel in my rental car." I offered.

"Wait, you don't live here?" Sam asked.

I looked at Colby, and the second he looked back into my eyes, we burst into laughter for no reason. It wasn't funny that Sam didn't know I wasn't from Australia, we just realized the ridiculousness of the quick turn in the conversation.