Chapter 2

~Sebastian~

   "Put me down!" Jaz seethed. She swung an arm at my head.

   "You stole my god damned fry. Now you get the pleasure of being thrown into my pool." I smiled and laughed. "Jaz you need to work out. I feel like I'm being poked by a worm."

   "Pleeaaasssseeeee let go!" She whined at an ungodly pitch.

   "Anything to make you shut up, Christ." I said dropping her into a lawn chair by my grill.

   She stood and crossed her arms. I looked at her and smirked. Wow was she short.

  "You PMSing or some shit?" I chuckled.

   "Don't be such an ass!" She swatted at my arm in anger. 

   "Hey moron, our waitress is here," Jaz's voice pulls me from the memory. I could live in that one all day. My dad had grilled burgers and made up some fries for us. We spent half the day in the pool, just the two of us. She splashed me like a todler learning to swim. That's what happens when your best friend is secretly five years old.

   "The same as always Linda," I crack a smile at our 32 year old waitress. I made it my personal business to become a regular at the fine establishment that is the Friendly's at our local mall.

   "I'd assume the same for you hun," Linda says to Jaz and she nods.

   We sit in a comfortable silence, Jaz tapping away at her phone. When she hung up on me last night, I knew she wasn't as pissed as she let on. She didn't answer my call this morning though. It was about 4:45 in the morning. I was letting her sleep in compared to my other calls.

   "Who ya textin'?" I wiggle my eyebrows at her. It gets her every time.

   "Calm down, it's just my brother. Definitely nobody special,"  she sighs. I hate Adam. Whenever he comes around, Jaz puts up this whole I-can-kill-you-with-a-glare act that I really can't stand.

   "Wanna stay at my place tonight?" I ask as Linda sets down our food. She gives me a wink, like she knows something secret, before walking away. Oh god.

   "Yeah let me text my parents," she replies and taps away at her phone once more.

   We finish our meals. Mine being two grilled chicken sandwiches, a tray of fries, and some onion rings. Hey, I play football. No shame. Her meal was a salad. Not too healthy though; it was covered with pickled onions and Italian dressing. Yum.

   We brace ourselves for the chilly November air of Delaware. I pull her car keys out of her pocket and jog ahead to warm the car for her. This girl is cold blooded, I swear. She drives us to my place in silence. Once there, we huddle together and awkwardly run up my driveway towards the door.

   "Jasmine Auker is that you dragging snow through my house?" My mom squeals. It's not like Jaz was hear on Wednesday to help me with my math homework or anything.

   "Hey Lorraine," Jaz gives my mom a big hug before asking, "it ok if I crash here tonight?"

   "Anytime honey bee," mom says affectionately.

   "Actually, mom, could the whole gang come over?" I ask, hope prominent in my tone.

   "Of course. You kids make me feel young again," she says before sauntering away.

   Me and Jaz call up the gang and, like expected, everyone was free. Jaz got to work making popcorn and I got out our movie options: The Outsiders, The Secret Life of Pets, and Dirty Dancing. Jaz loves Dirty Dancing but it never gets enough votes. I make it an option every time.

   Mandy shows up first, then the twins, and finally Sid. We change into our pajamas and get settled in the den. 

   "All in favor of Pets," I shout above excited, teenage voices. Mandy's hand rises. "The Outsiders?"Luke and Sid both raise their hands. "Ok, Dirty Dancing?" Jaz and Lyall proudly wave their hands in the air. That gives me the final vote.

   "Dirty Dancing or The Outsiders?" Jaz says, her eyes daring me to betray her.

   "Ok, just put in Dirty Dancing. We all know you side with Jasmine," Sid grunts.

   "He'll yeah! Nobody puts Baby in the corner," Jaz quotes. She's in love with Patrick Swayze. And I'm in love with her.