Chapter 6

~Sab~

   I wake up with Jasmine screaming in my ear, but when I open my eyes, I'm alone in the basement. I look around only to realize that the voice yelling at me is in my phone. That bastard changed my alarm. 

   I stop the alarm and check the time. It's only six o'clock in the morning. What does she expect from me at six in the morning? 

   I roll out of the blankets and stumble up the basement stairs. I walk on the cold tile floor to my kitchen, where I'm greeted with the sight of Jaz and Lils, both already dressed and about to eat breakfast. 

   "I hope that's not milk I see," I say, walking over to the fridge and getting Jaz the almond milk. She's not killing herself on my watch. 

   "Ew, really? Almond milk and Lucky Charms? Do you even know what almond milk is?" Jaz whines. She's never been know for following her dietary needs.

   "Water and crushed almonds. Not dairy. Good for you." I answer. 

   She huffs and I take a minute to take in her outfit. On her feet are gray combat boots, untied of course. She wears jeans with way to many holes in them for a winter in Deleware, and a black long-sleeved t-shirt under my basketball jersey. Does she even have clothes of her own? 

   "I'm coming to your game tonight." She anounces, looking at me like she deserves an award.

   "Congrats, want a cookie or something?" I put a bagel in the toaster and turn to Lils. "Put cream cheese on this for me? I'm going to go get dressed."

   "Yeah, sure," she replies and I run upstairs to throw on some decently clean clothes.

   When I come back down, my bagel is on the counter and Lily is behind Jaz, braiding her hair.

   "Um, excuse me. I thought I was curling your hair?"

   "You were going to, but I wanted my hair braided. I'm still curling yours though, don't worry." Jaz says, a bit too cheerful for six seventeen a.m.

   I let out a low grumble along the lines of "fine, whatever" and eat my bagel in a minute and thirty seconds. I rinse off my plate as Lily finishes up Jasmine's hair.

   "Ok, let's get this over with." I trudge into the bathroom and sit on a stool in front of the mirror. Jaz stands behind me and plugs in a curler.

   "Before we start, is the a certain song you'd like to hear on repeat all morning?" This is a rhetorical question. When one of us says this, it means, "get ready for All Star by Smashmouth to start and never stop." 

   I nod and she presses play. We whisper the lyrics while she twists my hair around a hot, metal, torture device.

   "OW! Don't tug so hard!" 

   "Don't be such a baby!"

   "Don't be such a brat!" 

   "Oh my God, Sabby, that's so third grade." 

   "Yeah, well, your face." I say and hear her start to grumble and watch her roll her eyes in the mirror. 

   After about fifteen more minutes my hair is done and she's trying to stab me with a mascara wand.

   "Its so close to my eyeball!" I yelp.

   "Well, that's where your eyelashes are." She rolls her eyes, again. When I squirm for about the fifth time she puts the cap back on her mascara. "You're hopeless!"

   "Hey, hey, why don't you just calm down, I won't flip, and you can do my make-up. Sound good?" I take her hand in mine and rub my thumb across the top of it. When this doesn't work I crack a smile. "Come on! Make me pretty!"