Lucky Man

Hermione tried her best to ignore all the girls giggling and ogling Harry as she made her way to the Great Hall for breakfast with him. They couldn't all possibly know yet, she told herself, and anyway, it would be unreasonable to expect that they wouldn't find Harry fanciable after he'd tied Krum for first place.

But despite her attempts to reason with herself, Hermione couldn't help finding all the attention lavished on her boyfriend annoying. She determinedly squashed her irritation, reminding herself that there were more important things to worry about - like keeping Harry alive.

The Great Hall was abuzz with conversation, giggles, and stares - which seemed to become more frequent and intense as breakfast wore on - and Harry looked as discomforted as Hermione herself felt. And poor Harry didn't even have Ron to help distract him at the moment, as Ron was gravitating towards Neville for the time-being. But perhaps a shift in focus would help keep Harry's mind occupied.

"So," said Hermione crisply as Harry munched on a buttery crumpet, "how are you getting on with that Golden Egg Harry?"

Harry swallowed his mouthful before replying.

"Oh... er, fine," he said shiftily.

"You haven't even cracked it open again since the First Task celebration, have you?"

Hermione tried to give Harry a hard stare, but found her mouth twitching up at the corners. Harry grinned sheepishly.

"Er... Well, it's barely been a week and a half since the First Task, and I reckon I've got loads of time till February 24th. That's almost three months away."

"But who knows how long it'll take us to work out how to decipher the screeching?" Hermione reasonably pointed out. "And then - once we've figured out what the Second Task is - we'll have to find the best spells to help you get through it and practice them. ... And the Second Task is hardly going to be easier than the first, is it? The tasks are just likely to get even more dangerous."

Harry paled slightly, looking thoughtful as he considered Hermione's words.

"Blimey! When you put it like that..." he muttered. "You're right Hermione! I dunno what I was thinking!" Then a puzzled look crossed his features. "Wait... what did you mean, 'we'? I thought I was supposed to work out the Clue by myself. You know... Triwiz rules? You even said so yourself."

This time it was Hermione who looked slightly abashed, her cheeks growing warmer as they turned pink. She bit her lip and fluttered her eyelashes.

"Well, yes, I did say that. But that was before..."

Harry raised his eyebrows, unable to prevent a little smirk from crossing his lips.

"Besides, the other Champions have an unfair advantage, having three years' worth of magical training and knowledge on you," Hermione added defensively. "And... and McGonagall as good as said that I should keep helping you."

"I'm not complaining," said Harry quietly. "And McGonagall's right - I need you Hermione. You're the smartest, loyalest, kindest person I know. ... You've stuck by me through everything, and I wouldn't have got past the Dragon without your help..."

Another thought seemed to strike Harry; he cast his eyes down, looking deeply disturbed as he continued.

"I probably wouldn't've survived this long without you. I... I can't believe how stupid I've been - all the time I've wasted when I should be learning as much magic as possible! There's a bloody evil genius after me, and I picked rubbish like Divination because it looked easy..."

Hating to see his confidence so shaken, Hermione quickly took Harry's fork-free hand in her own and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"Harry, don't! ... Don't beat yourself up like that," she reassured him. "You're brilliant in Defence - better than me - and amazing at Charms..."