Revelations

It was the fifth day of Christmas - otherwise known as New Year's Eve Eve (or New Year's Double Eve as Fred and George had called it when announcing the party that evening in the common room). Harry was so wound up in anticipation of the upcoming chat with Dumbledore that he barely ate a thing at breakfast, managing to down only a buttery crumpet and a piece of bacon.

"Wha'zhup Harry?" Ron mumbled through a mouthful of scrambled eggs and sausage. Hermione looked slightly sick, but bit her tongue for the sake of keeping the peace.

"Er... I'm seeing Dumbledore later," Harry replied vaguely.

Neville gave Ron a little nudge. Ron caught Hermione's poorly concealed look of disgust and hastily swallowed the rest of the food in his mouth before speaking again.

"You in some kind of trouble then?"

"No," said Harry, shaking his head. "It's not like that. Er... supposedly Dumbledore's going to tell me some stuff - maybe stuff about V... You-Know-Who which has t'do with me, like the visions I keep having. Hermione and I are going to see him at lunchtime."

"Hermione's going with you too?" Ron frowned.

"Why wouldn't she?" said Neville, slightly puzzled. "She is Harry's girlfriend."

"I know but... it's just..." Ron trailed off, his ears turning pink. It suddenly struck Harry that Ron was starting to feel a bit left out of things, even though he'd been spending a lot more time with Neville these days anyway.

"Er... Yeah. But I'll tell you everything later - promise," said Harry. "You too, Nev. I suppose you both ought to know, seeing as you two were the ones who had to put up with me the most last night."

"Cool!" said Ron, brightening. "That's alright then."

"Thanks Harry." Neville's eyes widened a bit in surprise, but he seemed happy to be included.

The rest of the morning wore on. As Harry was too agitated to sit still and finish the science fiction book he had been reading, Hermione suggested a walk in the snow. Finally it was lunch time; Harry and Hermione made their way to Dumbledore's office with their "secret escort."

"You may enter," Dumbledore's voice called out from within after Harry rapped the knocker on his door.

Awaiting the threesome between the armchairs and Dumbledore's desk was a mahogany coffee table set with three golden plates and crystal glasses beside each. On Dumbledore's desk was a large stone basin with runes carved along the edge, from which emanated a silvery glow.

"By all means, order up what you will," said Dumbledore warmly, "and we can begin whenever you feel so inclined."

Harry hurriedly munched his way through a pork pie and some crisps, washing it down with some apple cider. Hermione and Dora took their time and were still eating when Harry peered eagerly at Dumbledore.

"Very well, Harry," said Dumbledore, a twinkle in his eye, "I see that you are ready. Feel free to interrupt if you have any questions. First, some of what I am about to tell you should be kept in as small a circle as possible - for your ears alone - as it would not do for the information to inadvertently reach Voldemort's ears.

"Miss Granger is being allowed to share in this as she is so close to you, that I don't doubt you would be hard-pressed to keep a secret from her. And Tonks is joining us, because not only is she your protection detail - and therefore needs to know what she may be possibly up against - but also because she has recently become a trusted member of the Order of the Phoenix, on the recommendation of your godfather Sirius, Kingsley Shacklebolt, and Alastor Moody.