In the Serpent's Wake Part 1

"Bloody hell!" Ron moaned when an hour and twenty minutes had gone by and there was still no sign of Harry. "What's taking so bloody long?"

Neville shrugged, looking extremely anxious; Ginny and Luna were both highly agitated, fidgeting as they perched on the edge of their seats. Parvati would have no doubt been squirming with alarm too, but she was currently with Lavender and Viktor Krum in a tent near the stands.

Krum was the only one who had returned with his hostage within the time limit. After another ten minutes passed, when no one else had returned, Dumbledore dove into the lake and reappeared ten minutes later with Cedric under one arm. But there was still no sign of either Harry or Fleur. Dumbledore looked like he was about to dive back into the lake and Madame Maxime looked like she was preparing to join him.

"Looks like your loser pal snuffed it, Weasleby," Draco gloated.

"Shut your mouth, Malfoy," Ron snarled. "Or I'll shut it for you."

"Probably got eaten by a Sea Serpent," said Draco, laughing. Crabbe and Goyle both sniggered sycophantically.

Ron leapt to his feet, ready to punch that smarmy bastard, but Neville grabbed him.

"Look," said Neville, pointing out at the lake, "That's him isn't it? ... and Fleur too. Looks like they've got all the rest of the hostages too."

Malfoy looked disappointed.

"Hah!" said Ron. "Looks like you're the loser if you bet on Harry's death, Malfoy!"

"We'll see," Malfoy sneered. "It's not over yet, Weasleby."

The entire stands went quiet as the crowd watched the lake, waiting with bated breath while the last two Champions drew nearer to the shore. When Harry and Fleur finally arrived at the platform and Madame Maxime and Dumbledore had started hauling hostages from their arms the throng let out a collective sigh of relief... mostly.

The Slytherin contingent remained relatively unconcerned either way, and Malfoy openly scowled when Harry and Hermione clambered onto the platform. Ron was about to let out a cheer, but as Harry began talking to Dumbledore, blood started pouring from Harry's middle, puddling on the platform, and he keeled over.

Malfoy let out a loud whoop as they watched Dumbledore carrying a limp Harry to the medical tent.

"I told you, Weasleby!" Malfoy gleefully crowed. "He's a goner!"

"Potter's dead... Potter's dead... Potter's dead..." Malfoy began hollering, as if he was trying to coax the rest of the Slytherins into a chant, but only Crabbe and Goyle and a smattering of Slytherins were idiotic enough to join in.

The fourth chant of "Potter's dead..." were the last words out of Malfoy's mouth when he was bowled over by Neville.

"Harry's not dead!" Neville shouted, punching Malfoy on the nose. "You take that back!"

Ron was taken by surprise, having thought that he would be the first one to get a punch in, but his momentary hesitation ended when Crabbe and Goyle entered the fray. Ron launched himself into their midst, pummeling anyone in reach.

At least three older Slytherins joined the melee, and when Fred and George managed to push their way through the throng of onlookers they furiously piled on top, pounding away while Ginny and Luna both yelled at everyone to stop.

Finally, Professors McGonagall and Flitwick managed to make their way through the crowd - who were mostly cheering on the outnumbered Gryffindors - to put a stop to the brawl.

"THAT IS ENOUGH!" McGonagall bellowed, amplifying her voice with a Sonorus Charm.

All the fighters immediately came to a halt.