London Calling

"So," Ron began when he caught up with Harry and Hermione the next day after classes; he was by himself for a change, with no Neville in tow for a reason which became readily apparent, "what'd Si -" he glanced around to make sure no one was nearby. "Er... Sirius," he whispered, "Is it alright if I ask you what he sent?"

"Oh, yeah, of course," said Harry quietly. "And by the way - I never got around to telling you - just call him Snuffles."

"Snuffles?" said Ron, looking highly amused. "Yeah - okay then. So, what'd he send you?"

"I'll show you," said Harry, "but not here."

A few minutes later, Harry, Hermione, and Ron were outside, strolling along the pebbly shore of the lake. The day was sunny with very few clouds in the sky and ducks drifted by on the shimmering surface of the water. Harry reached into his robes and showed Ron the mirror.

"What's that for?" asked Ron, chortling, "Putting on make-up?"

Hermione huffed and rolled her eyes. Harry grinned.

"Nah! It's a communication mirror - Snuffles has one too. I can talk to him on it anytime I like now. I talked to him last night - him and Remus..."

"Remus? You mean Professor Lupin?"

"Yeah, he's hanging out with Snuffles," said Harry. "He told me to call him Remus seeing as he's not a professor anymore. Anyway, Hermione and I, we talked to them a bit last night. I told them everything that's been going on lately. ... Sirius doesn't trust Snape either - oh, that reminds me, I talked to Professor Moody too yesterday.

"Moody said that Snape really was a Death Eater who switched sides and works for Dumbledore now. He thinks Dumbledore's barking for hiring Snape but said that Dumbledore totally trusts him for some reason. Sirius pretty much said the same thing as Moody. ... He told us that Snape hung out with a gang of Slytherins in school that all ended up as Death Eaters - so he thinks Dumbledore's crazy for hiring him too.

"But Remus said that if Dumbledore trusts him, then he must have a good reason to, and now I dunno what to think, really. ... I mean, I keep going back and forth - Sirius and Remus and Moody all said that Dumbledore totally trusts Snape - but Sirius and Moody don't really trust Snape - and Remus reckons that if Dumbledore trusts him then we should too..."

"But I'm not sure that Dumbledore does trust Snape completely," Hermione interjected, "or if he does, then I'm not sure whether we can trust Dumbledore's judgment about Snape."

"What? You? ... Harry, have you checked Hermione for polyjuice potion?" Ron sniggered, and Hermione gave him a withering look.

"Bloody hell! You really mean it," said Ron, gaping at her.

"Yeah, she does," said Harry seriously. "That's why I'm even more confused than ever now..."

~o0o~

Kingsley Shacklebolt and John Dawlish eyed the run-down establishment on the outskirts of Cardiff warily, paying little heed as the rain grew heavier and the wind picked up. Passing muggles noticed the two men in trench-coats, no doubt wondering if the men were considering purchasing and renovating the long shuttered antique shop with boarded up windows.

Dawlish and Shacklebolt drew closer to the building, splashing through the puddles on the pavement, and out of the range of muggle eyes, which slid past the Aurors as if they weren't there the moment they passed through the concealment and repelling charms which warded against nosy muggles.

The true nature of the building readily became apparent, though it didn't look in much better shape from within the wards. Dawlish looked up at the grimy sign swinging in the wind.