Normalcy

-Helena pov-

My eyes flew open on their own and I heard a startled gasp come from beside me. I quickly sat up, bringing my arms up to protect my body. I awaited for some sort of physical assault but none came.

That was when I remembered that I was no longer with my father, that I was in a safe place with people who would not hurt me. "Who is there?"

  "Just me," a deep voice came from the foot of the bed. I sighed and dropped my arms beside me.

  "What do you want Jasper?"

  "My parents left to work and I was just coming to wake you up for breakfast." At least he was trying, even if it kinda come off as creepy having him stand over me as I slept.

  "Thank you Jasper. I appreciate it." I slide out of bed and stretch my sore body, feeling my body loosen up little by little.

  "I can lead you down to the kitchen if you would like."

  "I would gladly appreciate that, thank you." I hold out my arm but Jasper takes my hand in his and pulls me along, giving me step by step instructions on objects around me and where to step.

  We had finally reached the kitchen where Jasper helped me sit at the marble island and helped navigate me through breakfast. "So, not to be rude but how did you lose, you know.."

  "Lose my sight? I wish I knew, it was during a car accident where I not only lost my sight but also my mother. The doctors couldn't find the reason I lost my sight. I was little when that happened, so I learned to live without sight. My other senses have been heightened, that part is very much true."

  "How are you so positive through this all?"

  "Well Jasper, it was either this or let it control me. I will admit for some time I wallowed in my own misery, I let this control me. It was a dark time for me, no pun intended. Even though I couldn't see, I could see the effect it was having on my father. I didn't want to be the same way as him. He let my mother's death ruin him. She wouldn't want either of us to throw away our lives just because she had passed away. She would've wanted us to live to the fullest, to not let anything stop us from fulfilling our dreams. My father didn't listen, as to where I did."

  "I don't know what I would do if I lost my mom or dad."

  "Be thankful you don't have to find out. They love you Jasper. Don't push them away. They can be strict, but they are just looking out for you. Every parent wants the best for their child, and your parents are going above and beyond for you. Cherish every moment you have with them. Trust me, it could all disappear in the blink of an eye."

  "Thank you Helena." Jasper took my hands in his and I could feel the gratitude coming from him.

  "Thank your parents. Because despite all your tantrums they still put up with you. But enough about this, what are you up to today? Don't you have school actually?"

  "Yeah, about that...I decided it would be best if I ditched and showed you around the house, so you can memorize the layout. We can walk through every room and I can describe it as we go. Then you can see if you can remember and if not we can do it over until you get it down."

  "You would do that? For me?"

  "Of course, you are my friend and you are staying here. I want you to feel at home and know your way around in case one of us isn't home."

  "Thank you Jasper."

  So that was how we spent about half of the morning, just walking around and me trying to memorize the layout of the house. I kept bumping into things but for the most part I had a sense of what was where.