Chapter 12

The Chunin Exams were over.

The Third Hokage was killed by the hands of his own student Orochimaru. Naruto and Jiraiya Sensei went to go find Lady Tsunade to heal Sasuke, Lee, and a few others from the Chunin Exams. After several meetings with the Elders, she consequently became the Fifth Hokage of Konoha.

Ever since she had been defeated at a tie with Sakura at the preliminaries, Ino felt disappointment hanging over her, dragging her down. A rain cloud seemed to cover the light on her path, and she couldn't find a clear thought in her head.

Since Raicho was a friend and a therapist-in-training, Ino figured she would talk to her first.

"So first, before we start, I have a few questions," Raicho said professionally.

"Oh, sure," Ino said, expecting Raicho to ask about her background or state of health.

"Good. What do you want at the end of this session?"

"What?" Ino was confused. "What do you mean?" Raicho shifted in her chair.

"You mentioned that you feel depressed or disappointed, so what do you want to feel at the end of this meeting? For example, less depressed, maybe? Feel as if a burden has been lifted? Maybe have a resolution?"

"Oh, I'm not sure," Ino admitted.

"Well, let's establish that first. So tell me how you feel, Ino. If you could make a list, what words would be used to describe your mood right now?"

"Discouraged. I-can't-do-it. Hopeless. Failure." Ino stopped and stared at her linked fingers. "I don't think I can live up to my father's expectations."

"Hm. Why do you think that you can't live up to your father's expectations?" Raicho asked conversationally.

As Ino poured out her soul in front of Raicho, she broke down several times, the therapist-in-training patiently letting her sob through the entire story. As a daughter walking in her father's light, Ino was afraid that she wouldn't be as good as her father. Ino felt useless even though she had been specially trained in the art of her clan's jutsus. Whenever she looked at her friends, she started comparing herself to them and wallowed in despair. Hinata was a hard worker; Sakura was intelligent and quick on her feet; Raicho became a therapist; and Tenten was a weapon expert.

"What am I supposed to do?" Ino whimpered, hugging herself, trying to make her existence smaller.

"So for starters, people compare family members to each other, all the time. Instead of thinking how to be just like your father, think about how to be better than your father. Is it technique? Then practice at it. Be even better than he was at your age," Raicho said.

"What else?" Ino sniffed.

"I know this will sound impossible, but you need confidence. If you don't believe you have confidence, fake it."

"What? How?"

"You need to pretend you have confidence. Stand taller, shoulders back, chin up, look straight ahead. All these little things will make you look more confident. Even if you don't feel it, faking will give you the illusion or the feeling of confidence."

"But what if I don't feel confident?" Ino asked wearily.

"That's the secret of faking it. You don't have to. People will notice your appearance first and if you keep your posture as confident, people will look up to you. If you feel like you need to wallow in despair, go somewhere private and do just that. But in public, look like you are the Hokage," Raicho said, strongly.

"I don't know..."

"That's alright. If all that is too much, start with one thing. Chin up. No matter what you're doing, don't look down at your feet. I can assure you, you will gain some confidence."

Later throughout the day, Ino spoke with Hinata, repeating her troubles.

"I'd talk to your father if I were you," Hinata offered, wrapping her throw blanket tighter around herself. "I can't really say anything against my father's or the Elders' wishes, but in your position, you can."

"Like what?" Ino scoffed, slouching in her seat.

"How about how you feel?"

Ino wasn't willing to spill her guts in front of her father. No way.

She could see the pride gleaming in his eyes whenever he spoke of her successorship or when they trained together. He looked forward to seeing her succeed in one of the most difficult ninja art, especially since the Yamaka Clan dealt with the mind. He marveled at the fact she would take his place someday and--

"Ino?"

"What else?" Ino responded, turning her attention back to Hinata.

"Why don't you tell your father you feel a little overwhelmed?"

That didn't seem like a bad idea. However, Ino hesitated to tell her father anything. He was such a busy man, and to tell him that they should slow down would be detrimental. His timing and schedules were solid, and to slow down the entire process would lower his reputation.

"Tea?"

"I'm good, thanks," Ino said, shaking her head at Hinata's offer.

Ino trudged towards home, the sun sinking quite low. Lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice a stranger standing in the alley, watching her every move.

The person stepped out of the alley way, their lips twisting into a smile. Their outfit wasn't out of the ordinary, and they didn't paint themselves an intimidating figure, but a neutral stranger, out and about to go home like any civilian would.

Ino wouldn't be prepared for the turmoil that would defeat her.