Chapter 15

A shadowed figure watched a beetle scuttle lazily on the concrete wall. Both the bug and the human stood in the alleyway, away from curious eyes and inquisitive ears. Neither spoke, but the message was clear:

Death was imminent and another victim was selected.

"Will you meet me at the Poppo cafe?" Shino asked, standing at the desk Raicho worked behind.

"Sure. What time?"

"If you're available, let's have lunch there. We can meet up around 12:30 or so."

"12:30. Gotcha. I'll be there."

Raicho smiled at Shino who walked away, accomplishing his own mission. He wanted to talk to her, possibly about Kiba's wellbeing, so they would meet up later after her work at the therapy office. Once her morning shift was over, Raicho collected her backpack and went home to change. Once out of her uniform, Raicho tucked Potato the Couch in the plastic bug carrier she kept as a child and headed to the cafe.

"Hello," Shino greeted quietly, once Raicho finally spotted him in the small cafe. "I see you brought a friend."

"Yeah, this is Potato the Couch, he's really friendly," Raicho introduced, sitting in the chair across from him.

"I'm not well-informed about arachnids in this case," Shino admitted. "I'm an insect expert. Even beetles are a more familiar topic than spiders."

"Well, spiders have two main parts, the head and the abdomen, and have eight legs, whereas insects would have--"

"Only six legs and three body parts, the head, thorax, and abdomen," Shino finished.

"Exactly. But that's too easy. You already know this," Raicho said.

"What about the differences between a spider and a tarantula?"

"The fangs. Spiders' fangs close like a pincer, but a tarantula's fang points down. Much like a snake's top fangs point down."

"I see." The two bug enthusiasts both introduced an in-depth explanation of their expertise and additionally learned opposing information of their bug species. The waiter came over, took their orders, and served them lunch.

"I wonder if I should ask you why you named your tarantula...as such," Shino said, watching her take out Potato the Couch from the plastic container.

"I was on the couch watching spider videos my father always made for me, and I decided to name this lazy fellow, Potato the Couch. My father introduced me to my love of spiders and tarantulas. I think they are adorable and fuzzy."  She handed the enormous arachnid over to Shino who handled the creature with care.

Near the end of their date, Shino took her to see a beautiful butterfly farm at his cousin's house. Raicho was in awe of the millions of butterflies, especially the glass-like winged butterfly that took her orange slice offering.

"Thank you, Shino for this date. I loved the butterflies. And your insects, of course!" Raicho said, both walking away from the butterfly farm.

"No problem. I consequently enjoyed our date," Shino responded. "Shall I walk you home?"

"Oh, that's not necessary. I can deal on my own, but thank you."

"Alright. Take care," Shino said indulgently, watching her head home.

Raicho cheerfully headed home, greeted her father as her mother was out, and joined him for dinner. After a quick journal moment, she headed for bed.

The time was now 2:34 in the morning. Something was wrong.

"Iguro-san, make we speak with your daughter?"

"Of course. I'll go get her."

Lights were turned on, badges were shown, doors were knocked.

Raicho's father knocked on her bedroom door frame. "Raicho? Some detectives have some questions."

She didn't answer.

Possibly deep asleep. "Raicho, I'm coming in."

The door slid open and the light was turned on. He headed inside and touched her shoulder. "Raicho, I know its late, but you need to get up."

"Hmm?"

"Raicho."

"Father?"

"Come on."

After a five minute struggle of sleeping and staying awake, Raicho pulled on her hoodie and clambered downstairs with her father.

"Raicho Iguro?" A Chunin said, stepping forward. "We have a few questions if you don't mind."

"Oh, sure." She sat down at the table, confused at and tired.

"Were you with Aburame Shino yesterday afternoon?"

"I was. We went on a date at Poppo Cafe."

"Did you go anywhere else?"

"Yes...at the butterfly farm his cousin had."

"So you went to the compound?"

"No, actually, the farm was near the forest. Shino's cousin said the farm was kept separate from the compound because they had plenty of butterfly predators."

"Did you go to the Aburame compound?"

"No. I don't have any chances to go. They live on the northeastern side, and the therapy building is down south along with the market."

"Alright." The Chunin scribbled down some notes. "Iguro-san, I need to see all poison you own, including personal weaponry, homemade--everything."

"Do you want to see our tarantulas as well?" he asked. 

"Yes. Everything." 

"May I ask why for this query?" Raicho asked, puzzled.

"I'm afraid I can't. That's all. Thank you for your time." Soon, the team left, leaving many cups of untouched cups of water littered on the table.

"I'll clean up, you go back to bed," Raicho's father suggested, taking the cups.

"If you're sure...goodnight then."

"Goodnight. I'm sure all will be well."

Although Raicho didn't find out that night, she would soon the next.

"What did you say?!"

Raicho couldn't believe the morning paper front news. Hinata's face crumbled in pain. Akamaru's death was already enough, but Shino too?

"It's true. Shino died last night."