Chapter 19

Hinata was holed up in the Hyuga Compound and refused to leave. Everyone was dying, her teammates being the first to go.

Ino's suicide spread like an infectious disease, but the Yamaka Clan held their heads high. Ino's body was collected and buried, but no funeral was organized. Inoichi wanted a peaceful ending for his daughter, not the fine-attention life she had. He believed he was at fault for letting her live in an environment and destroy any confidence she may have had.

Raicho was forced to take a week off because plenty of people came to the therapist office not to get treatment and counseling, but to ask questions regarding her friends.

Sakura, like Hinata, was emotionally broken. Last night, she had begged Sasuke to come home or take her with him. She even confessed her undying love for him, yet he still left. He had knocked her out and left her on a nearby bench before leaving, a final act of courtesy for her.

When Sakura awoke, she told Lady Tsunade who sent a large team to investigate. Instead of reporting Sasuke's whereabouts, a medical team was requested to retrieve a dead girl at the river.

At first, Sasuke was suspected to have killed Ino. However, after carefully analyzing Ino's corpse, Lady Tsunade confirmed that Sasuke did not kill her. In fact, from Sakura's testimony and Ino's poison, there was a good chance Sasuke and Ino may have seen each other, yet chose to do nothing to stop each other from leaving.

Tenten was the only one who was unaffected by it all.

"I think Ino never really cared about being a kunoichi," Tenten said, leading Raicho through the forest. "I think she was like a wannabe."

"Why would you say that?" Raicho asked.

"She obsessed over 'Sasuke-kun,' she doesn't work hard, and she chose the easy way out."

"She just couldn't cope," Raicho defended weakly. "Tenten, you're acting weird."

"Am I? People change, Rai-chan. You above all people should know that."

"I know but--"

"I'm glad she's dead."

Raicho stopped in her tracks. The air was still, and time froze around them. Raicho could only stare at her childhood friend, stunned at her incompassionate attitude.

"Tenten?"

Tenten whirled off and left Raicho in the forest.

That week, Raicho avoided Tenten like a plague. Tenten was additionally burdened with a new mission outside the village, so the two girls didn't speak to each other for over two weeks.

Two weeks stretched to three, climbed to five, extended to ten.

Then on the eleventh week, Tenten approached Raicho.

"Can we talk?"

"No, I'm busy," Raicho said, walking past her. Tenten frowned but didn't chase after her.

Another week staggered by.

"Rai--"

"I have a session in like five minutes."

After that, Tenten stopped attempting to speak with Raicho. The two girls quietly drifted apart, as one comforted the hurt, and the other strove for attention.

Tenten was furious. She regarded Raicho her best friend, yet she, like everyone else, abandoned her!

"I don't need her anyway," Tenten muttered angrily, taking out her weapons. "She won't help me? Fine. I won't help her either."

Throughout the week, a Hyuga Elder saw a vision regarding Hinata's safety. Ever since Team Eight's disappearing group, rumors spread that Hinata or Kiba would be next. Some rumors involved Team Ten. 

In order to appease the family, Hinata and her younger sister Hanabi stayed together, vowing to protect each other. They never left the other's side no matter where they went. Hinata's death would be prevented, for sure. With Hanabi as a powerful protector, they could capture the murderer and bring him down. 

One evening, the two Hyuga sisters settled down for a little moonlight watching before heading to bed. All was still, and the hot springs bath from earlier did wonders to their mood. 

"Here you go," Hanabi said, handing Hinata a glass of cold juice. 

"Thank you." 

The girls stayed outside for a gentle, quiet relaxing moon watching. Not even the crickets dared to disturb their peaceful evening. 

Then suddenly--

Crash! 

The sound of glass shattered onto the large garden stones right under the wooden porch. 

"Hanabi?" Hinata looked over at her sister, only to be caught off guard when a pair of hands seized her throat. Hinata's eyes widened frantically, trying to stop her sister without hurting her. 

Hanabi! 

The younger Hyuga sister's eyes were determined and cold as she held onto Hinata's throat firmly. However, Hinata thrashed hard and violently against Hanabi. 

Unexpectedly, Hanabi flipped their position so she was behind Hinata and shoved her down, as a long, thick strip of fabric went around Hinata's neck. 

"Hana--!" Hinata mouthed, trying to breathe. Hanabi remained silent as she twisted the rope behind Hinata sharply, simultaneously forcing Hinata to arch her head backward in order to deprive her of oxygen. 

Hinata tried to fight, but unwilling to hurt Hanabi, she lost the struggle and died by Hanabi's hands. 

Although Hinata stopped struggling, Hanabi did not let go of the rope or position immediately. After nearly half an hour of waiting, the younger sister took the ends of the rope, tied a secure and tight knot, and stood up. 

Hanabi carried Hinata's body to outdoor bath on the other corner of the house and slowly lowered her in, making sure to submerge her sister's head. She also slid into the water beside the corpse and fastened the rope under a heavy rock, making sure Hinata's head stayed below the water.  

If by some miracle Hinata survived the choking, she would surely die of drowning. Once assured Hinata would remain dead, Hanabi took out a knife and plunged it into her own abdomen, letting the blood stain the water thickly.

Just as Hanabi's body slumped in the pool, the stranger in the shadows left. 

The weak should not exist.