13 | Feeling

13 | Feeling

Although I wouldn't say I wanted to meet him again, I must admit I didn't feel the same apathy towards Hasan now that I did when I first met him.

It surprised me as I sat waiting for his arrival in the evening. I was sitting in my old living room, half-heartedly playing video games with Amaan while sniffing biryani-scented air. Lubaina, mamma, and the kitchen lady laboured in the kitchen, where, as it seemed, I was forbidden forever now.

"Addi," Lubaina called from the kitchen. "Do they eat a lot of spice? Or, like, moderate?"

I rolled my eyes. "Don't mind it, put the quantity you feel like putting. He'll survive if he eats for once what we do."

"Okay," she said, and after some seconds, "By the way, he likes rasmalai, right?"

"I don't know. But I do know that he likes halwa."

"Oh! You should've told me that earlier, ugh! There's not enough time to make one now!"

I then heard his car enter the driveway and quickly fixed my dupatta. When the bell rang, I threw the controller away.

"Baji!" Amaan cried. "At least finish the game!"

"Some other time, Amaan," I said and ran to the gate.

"Assalaam Alaikum," Hasan said as he entered, and Jebrail went to the kitchen to announce his arrival.

"How are you?" He asked me, and I nearly began crying again.

"Great. I cried several times and probably will cry more, but it feels so good to meet everyone again. Even Lubaina is here."

He looked confused. "Lubaina is . . . ?"

"My best friend! And perhaps my only true friend. I missed her so much, you have no idea. And do you know?! Since I was away Jebrail has decided it was okay to steal my speakers. And mamma and Lubaina are not letting me inside my own kitchen, can you believ- " He cut me off.

"You never told me if you missed me."

I smirked. "Yes, because I didn't."

He faked hurt. "What?!"

"Yep. I didn't miss you, Mr Ilmas."

"Yeah, right," he scoffed. "Where's Amaan? He'll tell me just how much you missed me, and aren't ready to confess. Amaan! Come here, bro, I need your help!"

Like you'd guess, I rolled my eyes as Amaan came running and slammed right into Hasan's flat belly.

"Hasan Bhaiiiii," he cried, hugging him.

"Amaaaaan! How are you?"

"Awesome! You?"

"Same! I got you gifts, bro, check it out," he handed him a plastic bag.

I stared at it.

He hadn't given me anything.

Before I could comment, though, Hasan looked at me. "Tell me now, Amaan, and with complete honesty. Did Adinah Baji miss me?"

Amaan looked at me.

"Adinah Baji - " he started, but I didn't let him finish. I covered his mouth with my palm.

"Shut up, you disloyal raccoon! Don't make me physically dump you in the trash can!"

I didn't look at Hasan while I did this, and when I did, I regretting ever having denied that I did, in fact, miss him. A little. Well.