16 | Surprised

16 | Surprised

I was so silent when I opened the door that he didn't even realise that I had entered.

I just stood there for some seconds taking the feeling in, trying to understand what exactly it was. It was intense, yet unclear. It wasn't nice, but I knew it wasn't unpleasant either.

Soon he acknowledged my presence and turned around. I salaamed him, but didn't move from my position near the closed door.

"Adinah! Walekum Assalaam! I was just going to call you to know where you are."

I smiled. If I spoke, I'd have started crying, and I didn't want to talk about what happened downstairs with aunty Husna. I had limited time with him.

His face now showed he'd realised something wasn't right. "Did something happen?"

He looked worried, and I panicked, searching in my head for a reason I could give him.

"I want my gift," I ended up saying, and then internally cringed at my lameness.

He started laughing. "Of course you do. I'm a horrible husband, aren't I?"

"If it turns out to be a disappointing gift after all of this unnecessary mess, yes. Totally."

"I hope it doesn't," he said, reaching to his pocket again.

I watched mutely, thankful I didn't have to tell him what happened downstairs, as he went on to present yet another white envelope.

"Hasan," I said, annoyed, "I swear by Allah if that's another note asking me to go to Hafsa or something I do not possess the Sabr to read it and go searching through this house - "

"Shh! It's your gift. I did tell you your search ends when you see me, didn't I?" I was instantly relieved.

"But," he said, and I nearly groaned. "Before I give it to you, I need you to answer something."

"Okay," I sighed. "Go ahead, ask."

"How fast do you think you can pack for three days and four nights?"

My mouth opened and I stood there staring at his grinning face, unable to utter a word.

"Seriously?"

He giggled, and then handed me a note. I had a feeling I wouldn't hate this one like the others.

"I'd appreciate it if you express your gratitude in the car or something, though, we're sort of late

"I'd appreciate it if you express your gratitude in the car or something, though, we're sort of late."

Late? I looked at the wallclock. There were about seven minutes to twelve. His flight was of twelve forty.

"I can't pack that quickly!" I cried, panicked. It was the only thing I could think of.

"Oh, four days, for Allah's sake, Adinah! Just four. I can pack four sets of clothes within two minutes. And so can you!"