Chapter 1

(Matteo's PoV)

I squeezed Emmy's hand. I needed to be strong for her sake, cuz if she knows I'm scared, then that just makes her more scared. But every word that the president spoke made me feel like I was going to vomit.

"The Children's Draft was proposed to the House and Senate last night and it passed this morning with a unanimous ruling--the first time in our country's history I might add. The draft consists of all males between the ages of 14 through 18 and it is taking effect as I speak. Those young males selected will receive their draft letters some time this week and they are required to attend an inspection in their hometown this Saturday, Feb-"

Emmy shook her head. "Turn it off," she pleaded.

I quickly grabbed the remote off the arm of the sofa and shut off the president's speech.

She wrapped her arms around me, and began to sob uncontrollably.

I stroked my fingers through her curly, red hair. "It'll be okay," I tried to soothe her nerves.

She tightened her grip. "I just don't wanna lose you." Her voice cracked on the last word. She wiped her eyes with the neon pink sleeve of her jacket. "What kind of cruel place do we live in that not one person voted against sending kids to war. I mean this country can never get anything passed, but suddenly now Congress agrees."

"It's bullshit," I said through gritted teeth.

Emmy suddenly put her hands up to her ears. "No, no, no," she whispered.

And that would be the worst thing if I got drafted. No one would protect Emmy. She and I are pretty sure she's got some sort of anxiety, or even schizophrenia, but we can't be sure since her parents won't take her to see a psychiatrist. It might ruin their "image".

She became even more fidgety and paranoid over the course of the week. "They keep saying you're gonna die," she told me.

"Don't listen to them," I advised, but I was having difficulty staying calm myself.

Three days later I was bombarded by the youngest two of my three brothers, Pedro and Pepe. "Matteo! Matteo!"

"Pablo took one of your letters." Pepe pointed at his brother.

Pablo held the note and open envelope closer to his chest. "He can't have it," he said defiantly.

It took me a couple moments to add up what was going on. To come to the awful conclusion based on the only people who seem to write letters anymore and why my only little brother who knew the circumstances of the war was trying to hide it from me.

My heart seemed to skip a beat as it fell into my stomach. "Pablo, I need to see that letter right now."

"No," he said, tearing up.

"Please." I extended my hand out to him. "It's important." As fragile as he was at the moment, I couldn't just take it out of his hands, but that didn't mean Pedro wouldn't.

"Here Matteo," His grin was smug just before he stuck his tongue out at Pablo.

One look at the Army seal at the top and my worries were confirmed.

Pepe tugged at my shirt. "What's going on?"

Pablo folded his arms and pouted. "The stupid government is making him go to war."

Feeling the need to talk to them, I sat down on the sofa and motioned for them to sit next to me. Pepe, being the smallest, was easily able to cradle into my lap, while Pablo and Pedro sat on either side of me.