Chapter 9 (Part Two)

(Landon's PoV)

    Tristan, Gavin, and I came inside talking, pleased that none of us had guard duty.

    "Hey, Holly," Tristan called. "It was easy again today!"

    "That's because you have no idea what you're doing," she muttered without looking up from her clipboard.

    "Have you been working all day?" I asked. I walked over to her and tried peering over her shoulder to see what she was doing, but she snapped it against her chest before I could read anything.

    "Well someone has to," she replied bitterly. She elbowed me in the rib, and it took a lot of strength not to double over. "Now step away from me before I rip your arms out of their sockets."

    I smiled at her. "Whatever you say, blondie."

    She huffed and began walking back to her room, but of course, we followed her. "You know what?" Gavin began. "Maybe you're right, Holly. Maybe this war stuff is hard. I think I'm getting a headache."

    "Suck it up," she told him.

    "But I need some medicine for it," he whined.

    "I'm not helping you," she replied irritably. "If you really need it, you're capable of getting it yourself."

    "Of course," he responded, smirking. "I'd be happy to search for it...in your room."

    Holly stopped dead in her tracks. "No. No. No. No," she repeated. She ran ahead to block the doorway. "None of you are allowed in my room. I'll get it."

    She made her way over to the medicine cupboard and opened it. She looked at the top shelf apprehensively, but still tried to reach for the bottle of Tylenol. She couldn't quite get her hands on it though.

    The three of us stifled our amusement. "Need help," Tristan taunted.

    "No," she answered indignantly. "I don't need your help. I can do things myself." She went to the other side of the room to get the wooden chair. It wasn't in great shape. It wobbled as she set it in front of the cupboard.

    "Are you sure that's steady?" I asked.

    "It's fine," she cut me off.

    Once she climbed on the chair, she was easily able to reach the bottle.

    "Holly," Gavin started again.

    "What now?" she exclaimed. She tried to turn around, but her foot was caught in the back part of the chair, and she ended up falling backwards.

    It did look like it hurt and I did feel kind of bad, but I laughed cuz the other guys did. I meant to ask if she was all right, but it ended up coming out as, "on second thought, it looks like you're the one who's gonna need the headache medicine."

    Still on the ground, her face was flushed pink and her muscles were tense. "Get out!" she demanded while getting up. "Get out, all three of you!"

    "Calm down," Tristan told her. "We're just trying to get you to lighten up a little bit."

    "Well stop before I drown you in your own blood," she threatened.

    Tristan rolled his eyes as we turned around to leave. "Why is she always so serious? I mean, since being drafted does suck, we should at least get to try to make a little fun out of it."

    Gavin shrugged. "I don't know. She's definitely not like any girl I've ever met."

    No kidding, I thought to myself.