Chapter 17 (Part One)

(Emmy's PoV)

    I exhaled as I turned the computer screen on. It took longer than usual to log on since my extra fidgety hands were prone to typos. I guess it was good nerves though--well better than my normal nerves. Trixie had managed to find a handful of girls all connected to the 63rd platoon who were able to talk.

    What are you doing this for? It's not like they will like you.

    I signed into google hangouts to find an incoming call from Trixie. I answered it, revealing several other girls. Once synched in, Trixie smiled and did a little clap. "Yay! Emmy's here! Perfect. That's everyone who told me yes for today."

    She's only faking her excitement.

    Trixie led the whole thing since she was much better with people skills than I was. She introduced herself as Gavin's friend and then suggested we all do introductions, handing it off to me.

    "Oh...uh," I stammered. "I'm Emmy. Well it's short for Emmaline, but that's just so long so I go by Emmy--but that's not important. Anyway, I'm Matteo's girlfriend." Saying his name made me miss him even more.

    You stuttering freak.

    The other girls were Audrey (Justin's friend), Kierra (Tristan's friend), Kierra's friend who was spending the night (her name was Sophie), Alisha (Logan's girlfriend), and one other who had yet to speak. She was a blonde girl about my size. "I'm Rose, I'm Will's twin sister."

    Will was Matteo's best friend. It was only a week or so ago that I learned of his awful fate.

    "Your brother's MIA," I blurted out. I quickly covered my mouth with my hands.

    You ruin everything. Why do you ever talk?

    "It's okay," she brushed it off. "I mean not the fact itself, but you telling me. It's not like I'm not aware of it."

    Trixie tried to smooth over my speaking blunder by steering the conversation in a new direction. "I just wish letters traveled faster."

    "Yeah," Alisha agreed. "If we're lucky, it takes two weeks to get there--and then you gotta add the reply and return time."

    Kierra raised an eyebrow, "you guys must get some real sentimental letters cuz mine are always dripping with stupidity and sarcasm."

    Sophie playfully pushed her. "Oh come on, you know you love getting letters from Tristan."

    Audrey shrugged. "I don't hear from Justin very often. But he's a very serious person and likely focused on the battle."

    "Well, do you ever write to him?" Trixie asked.

    "Not often," Audrey mumbled.

    "Well that's your problem," Trixie explained. "If you talk to him more, I guarantee he'll be falling for you."

    Audrey's face turned bright red. "Who said anything about him falling for me?"

    "I could send Gavin in to be your wingman," Trixie beamed. "He loves to help me out."

    "I don't need your help," Audrey replied irritably. Hoping to spare her from more embarrassment, I attempted to change the subject.

    "Can you believe how hard basic training was for them?"

    Kierra snorted.

    "What?"

    "I think your source may have been a little biased," she replied. "It was definitely hardest on your boyfriend. From what I heard, 'the Spanish kid' was always getting himself into trouble; arguing with the Drill Sgt., constantly complaining, he even took on a kid nearly a foot taller than him and got beat up pretty badly from it."