Chapter 14 (Part One)

(Aaron's PoV)

"Aaron, guess what day it is," Connor sing-songed.

I tried rolling my eyes while leaving them closed, but all I could do was groan. It was a slow, drudging shift to the ground, and as soon as my feet were planted, Connor promptly kicked me in the shin.

"You've always been the festive type," I commented.

Connor gave me a look of mock offense. "I am celebrating a globally renowned holiday. November 20th: National Kick a Ginger Day."

He kicked me again and I shoved him back through my laughter.

Sean's eyes fluttered open. "What's going on? Why are you guys fighting?"

"Aaron's fighting," Connor corrected him. "I am simply observing an important holiday tradition."

Sean furrowed his eyebrows and began to count on his fingers. "But Thanksgiving's not 'til next week."

"Oh, no, no, Sean." Connor cut him off. "This is more important than a murderous colonization celebrated with food. Today is National Kick a Ginger Day."

Sean tilted his head to the side. "I've never heard of that."

Connor feigned a gasp. "Well then I guess it's time for a history lesson," he decided as the two of us sat on either side of Sean.

"A long time ago, in the ancient times of 2008," Connor began with a dramatic flair. "The cartoon, South Park, aired an episode exposing gingers for what they truly are: evil and disgusting. This made some gingers angry--like Coppercab and Aaron Minschkin."

I gave an involuntary scoff. "Oh god, those fucking tools. I even have to share a first name with--"

Connor kicked me again. "Aaron, I am trying to tell a story," he fake chided. "So anyway, since their fiery tempers were extra heated, they started acting even more annoying than usual. As a response, a Facebook page in Canada--that's right Canada! Gingers are so unappealing that even Canada hates them--started National Kick a Ginger Day. It was an instant success."

"Although that one Minschkin kid was interviewed on several news stations as a 'tragic victim of prejudice and violence'," I cut in. "I mean I didn't watch it on the actual news since what kid watches the news, but I've seen YouTube videos on it." My eyes nearly rolled out of my head. "This reporter lady faked sympathy as that nerdy kid whined about the "racism" he faces, while showing his numerous (nonexistent) bruises. I mean how can anyone wonder why we're stereotyped as over-reactive when people like him exist--"

Connor placed his hand over my mouth. "And so, this glorious idea spread to America and now every year we celebrate by beating up these awful creatures." I wrapped my arm around his neck to break free from his grasp.

Sean gave me a puzzled expression and Connor and I fell to the ground. "And you don't mind?"

"Nah," I shrugged, getting up. "It's no big deal."

"But you've never actually gotten hurt?"

"Yeah," I replied. Although there was that time freshman year where the varsity team ganged up on me after JV's practice, but it's not like I signed up for football expecting not to ever take a beating.

"Yeah, don't worry Sean. Aaron's cool so it's all fun and games," Connor assured him.

"And plus everyone knows Connor isn't strong enough to actually hurt me," I teased.

And with that, the two of us started play fighting just as we'd done every year.

(Matteo's PoV)