Not that it Matters! What Can I Expect?!

"Is Brayden your mate Jane?"

Such a gently spoken question, yet it holds such grave consequences. Well, if anyone but Jane were in this situation. She looks into her mothers eyes and says calmly.

"Not for long apparently."

Her father chokes on a laugh he tries desperately to keep from letting out. Only Jane would refuse to fall apart at a time like this, he thinks to himself. Jane looks at her father with an appreciative half smile. Then she turns to look at her mother speculatively.

"Who was your mate meant to be mother? You never told me this could happen to me growing up... What bullet did I dodge?" she asks, taking her mothers hand in hers.

"Why do you think my fated isn't your father Jane?" Sara hedges.

Jane scoffs then points, "That Mark is not normal Ma, and I know how much you and Dad love each other... Not to mention Dads accusations to the former Alpha outside." Jane replies, before her brow crinkles at a faint growl that can be heard echoing through the room.

Sara looks at her daughter and cringes, then side eyes the Alpha reflexively. Jane's eyes grow large in shock and she looks to him herself. "YOU? You were meant to be my mothers mate?!"

She then accuses him, "You let her be taken from you?! Let me guess... you didn't even bother seeing her through any of it did you? Didn't care how any of it was effecting her, or how she felt about being rejected just for being a Lore Keeper? Didn't hold her in your arms when you rejected her... as she was suffering through pain YOU inflicted on her that she did NOTHING to earn or deserve huh? Did you at least respect her enough to keep it in your pants till she was mated? No, of course not... You were the future Alpha and probably bed hopped yourself silly, not caring if it hurt her or not."

Jane's look of utmost disgust not wavering as she dives back into her verbal assault, only this time on the former Alpha,

"And YOU, did you not teach him to respect his mate better in the event that she was the Lore Keeper, given your traditions? That the very least she deserved was to be held at least once by him while she was in such agony? And to not chase every she wolf who'd have him, out of respect for what pain it would cause her? And what about this business of not being able to pick our own Choice Mate? I for one will not trust any one to choose the person I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life with."

Jane's tirade pauses as she takes a breath and glares at both Alphas. Both males look shocked at being raged at by a female at least a foot shorter than them. They both begin sputtering excuses at the same time. Nattering on about tradition and the 'good of the pack'. Jane essentially ignores them as she catches her breath and grabs her mother to her. She buries her face in her mothers neck for a moment, calming herself with the maternal scent. Then turns her head to see that Brayden is still glaring at her. Only now he seems angry that she has questioned her Alpha.

"What? Don't like what I have to say? Tell me something then MATE, what were your fathers plans for me tonight? Are they any different now that you know that you are my mate?" Jane sneers as she asks the angry male before her.

Bradyden huffs out an annoyed breath before he answers "The plan has not changed. I am to be the next Alpha, I must follow tradition, even if it means sacrificing my own mate. For the good of the pack." Jane's response is a condescending snort. Brayden frowns in displeasure at her reaction.

"What sacrifice? Are you meant to be the one writhing on the floor in agony after the words are spoken? NO... Are you meant to be the one to feel like your insides are being cleaved by molten knives every time your sorry excuse of an ex-mate bed hops with someone else? NO. Are you the one meant to be forced in to a mating with a complete stranger chosen for you by someone who could care less about your happiness? NO. So please Future ALPHA enlighten me, what sacrifice is it that you speak of pray tell? Because from where I stand? I am the one who will be meant to do ALL of the sacrificing here." Jane rages at him.